Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a hectic few weeks lately with Buddy, my now 4 year old hedgehog. Gonna be a bit of a wall of text I'm afraid.

First his poop was funny coloured and he seemed to be in pain so we took him to the exotics vet who found he had some parasites and a generally upset stomach. A round of medication later and he had cleared up and sounded happier, was even wheeling again.

A week later I moved house, brought him with me of course, and about 3 days in to settling down the pain noises started again, however this time I noticed he was having trouble eating his dry food.
Another vet visit. She sedates him and checks EVERYTHING. X-rays, infections, poop, and the only thing they find is a lose tooth which she removed. He was weighed and it looks like he's lost quite a lot of weight, I feel like an awful hedgie mum for being so caught up in the house moving that it took this long to realise he wasn't eating as much as he should have been. We're hoping that the tooth was causing him the pain and difficulty eating as they literally can't find anything else wrong with him.

He ate fine for the first day after the removal, obviously eating soft cat food, but last night he hasn't wanted to eat, woke him up this morning and he sort of held close to the ground and wobbled a bit, didn't even try to eat, just had a wee and wanted to sleep, hasn't used his wheel either.

So, I can only assume at this point that as not been eating, has been on medication and is quite weak and the temperature has been a bit colder than usual although he hasn't attempted to hibernate at any point ever (usually he doesn't need temperature altering devices as the weather here is very warm but the new house is still quite empty and a bit chilly), so I've got a warm air heater in his room to bump up the temperature and I've decided to start syringe feeding him the recovery food the vet gave me in the hopes of getting his weight and strength up enough to want to eat on his own. Honestly out of ideas, and the vet is totally stumped too.

I've found a lot of advice here about how to syringe feed, thankfully he's always been a sweetheart about letting me do whatever I had to do to him but I have no idea how much to feed him or how often, sort of winged it the first time and gave him about 10ml slowly.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
The behaviour you describes sounds like a cold hedgehog. They don't always try to hibernate when they're cold, they often are just lethargic and wobbly. Monitor the temperature in his cage, make sure he's getting a proper light schedule and keep syringe feeding him. If he doesn't improve then he's going to need to go back to the vet. Make sure you're giving him 20-24 cc (mls) of food a day by syringe.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice :) I'm really hoping it's that and not something worse the vet can't find.
I've fed him 20ml in total today and atm he's awake and stuffing his face by himself so I'll take that as a good sign. The heater seems to be doing an ok job at keeping him warmer for now but I'll need a more permanent solution! Going to look in to that now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately despite my best efforts, Buddy has crossed the rainbow bridge.
It turns out that his organs had been failing, most likely due to old age, and there wasn't anything I could have done to help.
I'm going to miss his little face but I'm glad he is no longer suffering :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts