Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I just got my first hedgie a week or so ago and i was wondering how safe it is to take him outside for a little adventure? What precautions should i take while i'm out there and what should i watch out for?

Thanks!!! :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Heyy! I think it's great that you want to go exploring and bonding with your little friend.
First you should make sure that your hedgie knows and trusts you and that you are able to pick him up immediately with little trouble. Outside is a large world and, if there is trouble, you need to be able to handle him. You said you only got him a week or so ago and he is your first, so be sure that you are absolutely comfortable with him inside before taking him out.
Next step is making sure that the outside environment is a safe one. Try to make sure that where you are taking your hedgie is not where lots of other animals go to the washroom. As well, make sure the area has not been sprayed with any pesticides that could be harmful to your buddy. Watch him constantly and scope out the place where you want to take him first! You don't want to be surprised when he suddenly disappears because of a gopher hole or something you didn't know was there. As well, watch out for any other animals and KEEP AN EYE ON HIM AT ALL TIMES. Hedgies can be pretty fast when they want to.
Don't forget to watch stuff on the ground too because you don't want your hedgie eating anything that could hurt him!!!

So those are some things to watch out for and hope they help you out! Good luck with taking your new friend outside.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I second Ahava's assertion that your hedgehog should trust you before you take him outside.

I got my Quigley as an adult and he had never been outside before. We've had him for about 6 months. Recently we took him out for the first time. We went to my university campus, there is a nice open grassy space with few people or other animals.

We had to watch to make sure he didn't try to dig and get away and make sure he wasn't eating any bugs because wild bugs can carry illness and poisonous pesticides. He did taste the grass though with no ill effects.

Quigley was very nervous about the new environment and stayed close to us the whole time. If he didn't trust us so much he might have just panicked and run away.

We kept the adventure short and carried him home.

Also this might be obvious but don't let your hedgehog run on pavement or other hard surfaces like gravel. Hedgehogs have very soft pads on their feet that can be injured easily from harsh running surfaces.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I second LG's assertion...It gets very frustrating when people want you to continually repeat yourself OR do all of their research for them...take a little time and effort on your own part and look for what you want to find out FIRST. If you cant find the answer to your specific question THEN open a new thread.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LizardGirl said:
Try doing a search, this question comes up a lot. :)
I did and i found out what to do( thank you for the kind suggestion), and i enjoyed everyone else suggesting to me what to and telling me their particular stories on what THEY did.

dorasdaddy said:
I second LG's assertion...It gets very frustrating when people want you to continually repeat yourself OR do all of their research for them...take a little time and effort on your own part and look for what you want to find out FIRST. If you cant find the answer to your specific question THEN open a new thread.
I'm sorry that you get so easily frustrated, i've noticed that a lot on this forum. This is the ONLY thread i've started in this forum unlike other people who start a ton of them. Forgive me, Now i think i'll probably wait about a million years before i begin another thread.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I'm sorry that you get so easily frustrated, i've noticed that a lot on this forum. This is the ONLY thread i've started in this forum unlike other people who start a ton of them. Forgive me, Now i think i'll probably wait about a million years before i begin another thread.
Let's not be rude. Dorasdaddy was only stating the truth. It may not be you, but a lot of members like to start threads that are asking things that have been covered already. All it takes is a quick search.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Certainly, Thanks lizardgirl, no problem. I let it get to me when i shouldnt have. :p

But hey my little guy went out for a small adventure and he seemed to enjoy it, i gotta get him a playpen and then we can have a fun time outside!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
dorasdaddy said:
I understand your frustration but I'm not sure it's necessary to express it in the thread. The OP was told to do a search and if some people don't mind answer directly what's wrong with that. Sometimes things that I know are talked about a lot I can't find in a search and I especially found it difficult when I was brand new to the site.

If you don't want to repeat yourself or do someones research for them, don't, just ignore the thread and move on.

That's just my opinion and I'm sorry if it offends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.