Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyas ^_^ So I've been lurking here for months now, since Nov, when I got my lil guy and I just figured it was time to join in and say hello.

My lil Shinjy is really great, and such a cute little thing. I think we're getting along quite well(not like I have much else to do while school's on strike), so when he comes out to play, he'll explore a little, then he'll try to snuggle up to my pants or even crawl up into my lap. He's a real lap-hog :lol: He'll start falling asleep within a minute of being in my lap, and in a few, he'll be sprawled out sleeping.

Right now, I've got him only on Wellness Healthy Weight, though I'll be adding another soon. I had wanted to wait until school started again(since I'd be moving him out to the apartment with me), to cut down on the amount of stress, but since it doesn't seem like anything's happening any time soon, I figured it'd be ok. Also, I've went and bought canned pumpkin as precaution and as a treat here and there. What I've done is scooped about a teaspoon into small ice cube tray, froze them, then put them into a freezer safe ziplock bag. Then just heat a cube up in the microwave when I need it, is that ok? I just figured that this way, I'd always have some handy, and the whole can doesn't have to go to waste when I only need a few teaspoons over the course of a few days. Oh, and he LOVES his mealworms...Wonderful lure to "invite" him out of bed :lol: I have a flying saucer for him that he loves as well.

He'd learned to litter train quite well, it's almost always in his litter pan and wheel. Though sometimes, he leaves some poop beside his food dish from when he comes out in the afternoon to eat. He's kept in my room, which has a space heater, cause I like my room warm anyways, in the cage I used to use for my chinchilla(great excuse to use with mother....we already HAVE a cage...that's just sitting there...empty........ :D ) I just took out the floor mesh, so he's directly on the plastic trough. And when I head out to the apartment, I have a second similar cage with those plastic troughs already set up.

Right now, he is just over 3 months old ^_^ He still huffs when I first wake him up, and when I make sudden movements and noises. But when he's in my hands, he's very active, but never ever huffs, no matter what I do. Nail trimming has been interesting, but he's gotten pretty good with it. Trimming his hinds are much easier, probably because of how much more frequently I trim them compared to his front ones. That's another time where he rarely huffs.

So, on to the pictures so Shinjy can make his own intros:

This is when I first brought him home. I know...Towel. His bed is fleece, though sometimes, I do have him on a towel when he's in my lap. That's the only time, so it's always supervised. And he is just completely passed out sleeping ^_^

Now we have him on the couch, this was taken in Dec:

And with my cat. Tobie's an awesome cat and very very laid back. Though this is the first and only time thus far that they've come into contact like this.

On to more recent pictures...In this, he has been making...*ahem* self discoveries and this is what he thinks of it :lol:

This one was after giving him a drop of mango juice:

After all that annointing, he needs to take a break ^_^

Well that is all for tonight ^_^ I feel like I've filled up a lot of space in this post :lol:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Welcome to HHC! :D

Sounds like you are an awesome hedgie parent. Great to have you on board! Shinjy is so cute, and the captions made me laugh. :lol:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hehe thanks! ^_^

Haha, if I hadn't read through almost all of his board, I wouldn't have realized what he was doing during those self discovery sessions :p

And ya, I've just been lurking because there's soooo much info here that I haven't had much to ask. But I decided it was time to show myself anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts