Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I adopted Demi I was told to use kaytee fresh and cozy. It made SUCH A MESS!! White strips everywhere!! When I found this site I read about the fleece liners and immediately said "no I can't" simply because I don't have access to a washing machine and couldn't wash those regularly. However, in a recent trip to Walmart I found fleece blankets for the low low price of $2.88. I bought 5 of them! Instead of cutting them, I folded them into quarters which fit the base of Demi's cage perfectly. The cage is now easier to clean, and I can flip the liner over and get a few more days out of it when it gets a little dirty. Best of all, Demi is now sleeping in her pouch and not under it. She also seems more active. Also, because I switched to liners I was able to put another dish in her cage for water. She definitely prefers that to the water bottle, though we did leave that in her cage for when she drinks all of the water out of the dish at night. She's a thirsty critter after all that running.

So! Thanks!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Awesome! Fleece liners are great, I'm so happy I decided to use them too. But that's a great idea to flip them when they get dirty (and it's so obvious, I can't believe I hadn't thought of that haha)!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I know it's an old post but I wonder what about the smell? Im using pet sheets and after few days and only spot cleaning it starts to smell... Is that the pee smell?

I wonder if using the same blanket even folded after getting dirty won't start smelling badly after short time?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Bonus too--if you have a bunch of liners, save them up until you have a full load for the washing machine to save on laundry.

Sure, the initial cost may be a little bit more, but really, they don't wear out or anything.

You can also use scraps of fleece--my Nara has placemats so that I can shake off the food crumbs or replace if the water spills. LOL-she has never spilled her water, but I have.
If they always potty in the same place, add an extra layer, so that you can just switch it out--I use a baby diaper changing pad under the litterbox. (Pet ones are usually scented--a big no-no)
Also you can make a doormat, so any poop on the feet gets wiped off before they go into their bed.
You can always find remnants at JoAnne's for really cheap--sometimes they are on sale--and they always have coupons.

ML

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought a $5 tote with a lid, I just put the yuck ones in there to hold the smell until I have a full load of hedgie laundry. And Wal-Mart has there bolts of fleece on clearance sometimes for like $1-$3 a yard, it's usually highly ugly fleece, but my hedgies don't care what color the fleece the poop on is!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts