Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm glad you found each other.

It's bothering me that there are so many big pintos. Makes me wonder where they got their stock from, since there aren't that many breeders that have the big pintos. One or two could be spontaneous but many breeders would give their right arm to produce those pintos.

·
Registered
270 Posts
that is kind of crazy. i get my two girls on valentine's day...i wonder what they will look like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
She is so pretty! I was there right after the Colorado ladies picking up 50+ babies ...was she one of them?

I picked up 18 hedgies yesterday and all were pinto. There were a couple that had smaller markings but most were heavily marked. I too wonder where they got them all from and where they were headed to?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Melinda~

Yup! My girl was one of those picked up by my Colorado hedgie friends. :) So interesting how the coloring turned out! I just adore your boys... very special boys.

Thank you all for the compliments and kind words. I hope you all post your pics if/when you get your TX Tumbleweeds!

~Steph

·
Registered
912 Posts
HedgeMom said:
I'm glad you found each other.

It's bothering me that there are so many big pintos. Makes me wonder where they got their stock from, since there aren't that many breeders that have the big pintos. One or two could be spontaneous but many breeders would give their right arm to produce those pintos.
Your comment makes me wonder if you are thinking that the breeding program which produced these hedgies may be associated with an increased risk of genetic problems; ie, inbreeding?

Either way, I know we'll love and provide care for the little huffers as long as we can.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Oh, I think it's safe to assume that genetically all the rescues should be considered the product of inbreeding.

G-d bless everyone who is giving these quilled kids a loving home.

·
Administrator
3,632 Posts
Since I saw the image of the 100 or so hedgehogs in a cattle waterer I've been wondering what mill breeder they were/are getting all of their hedgehogs from. I think you are likely right Nancy, these animals are very likely the product of a lot of inbreeding. I have a horrible fear that these hedgehogs will live short lives... I really hope I'm wrong.

They certainly are gorgeous though and deserve to be spoiled rotten.

·
Registered
270 Posts
what a cute little rear-end!

i think it goes without saying that these guys will likely have health problems as a result of inbreeding, and overcrowding. thus i have already scheduled them vet appointments for the wednesday after they come home with a stash of money "just in case" things get pricey.

me and mitch have already agreed these guy's pick up and medical expenses (not to mention having to buy two of everything) are my valentine gift. haha...i'm just glad to get them, i'm sure everyone agrees.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Those pictures where too cute with them sleeping in their bags. Its nice to see them in a clean cozy bed and they definately are enjoying the wonderful home you gave them :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
[attachment=2:1s6jly8b]TXday12.jpg[/attachment:1s6jly8b]We got home from Tulsa about 3 hours ago with 8 Texas hedgehogs! A member of the HWS drove to TX and picked up a car full of hedgehogs. She has 2 mothers with litters of 3 and 4--I peeked in to the end of the clear Sterilites they were in and saw one mom nursing her ADORABLE babies, and the other mom on the other Sterilite was hiding out in her fleece and her babies were in the igloo. Those babies were a little older and mom looked like she wanted a break.

My husband and I were also really excited to see her 3 pet skunks! So cute!!! On the way home, all hedgehogs had hedgebags and crunchy cat food. We heard lots of munching noises, then everyone settled down for a nap. They were all snuggled together, 5 in one container, 3 in another.

We have 8 hedgehogs here until this weekend, when 3 are going to another rescue in southern Missouri. So we will have 5. When I first started talking about the rescue, my husband told me, "We can't keep ALL of them, maybe just 1 or 2." As he was holding them and snuggling them before and after they got nail trims, he was saying, "I want to keep her." He said it at least 4 times!

When we got home, we left them in their travel Sterilites while we had dinner. We set up a litter pan and the kiddie pool. I got out the nail clippers and mealworms. My husband held the hedgehogs and gave cuddles while I trimmed nails. Everyone had long curly nails and some had poop and fleece stuck in their nails. I trimmed the nails on all 32 feet. It looks like one had mites for sure, and they will all be treated with Revolution and worm medicine. One is sneezy, but doesn't have a runny nose. We don't know if it is a URI, we'll check with the vet.

They are all female and 6 of 8 are so chubby! Maybe Zeus, Aries and Artemis are just small--they all weigh between .60 and .70 pounds. We haven't weighed the new girls yet, but even the smallest ones are bigger than Aries, our biggest 'hog! They will be getting cake wheels soon, so maybe some cardio will help!

They are gorgeous!!! They are all pintos, all varieties of chocolate pinto. One is light brown pinto with a light brown nose--they are all beautiful, but she is stunning.

There are 2 girls who like to sleep in the same hedgebag--we've already started calling them Thelma and Louise. They might go to the other rescue, but it looks like they will be happy together wherever they go!

Pictures of some Lady Texas Tumbleweeds! (sounds like a bowling league!)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 84 Posts