Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some friends and family who are kind of interested in the Texas rescue mission-- but we're not sure if they can rehome the hogs to Canada. We're in Ontario, not too far from Windsor. Is it possible, or is that way to far for the hedgies to travel?

·
Registered
912 Posts
There are some in Canada who are getting hedgies. The last I knew, those in the know were working to figure out the right way to get them across the border. I know it's not too far for them to travel as they're coming up to Michigan on Monday.

If you/they haven't filled out an application yet, I think there's still time at the hedgehog welfare society homepage. I'd also jump on to the HWS yahoo group and let those folks know - both those helping out with adoptions and organizing the trains are on there.

·
Registered
912 Posts
LarryT said:
I have heard they all have homes but I do think some people took quite a few hedgies so they could help the HWS with rehomeing them.
Right... it sounded like many have forever homes, but many more have good foster homes who will take good care of the hedgies while working to find forever homes.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
All the hedgies coming to Ontario, Canada through Michigan have homes they are coming to. There are no fosters.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Oh... heehee... Sorry for the confusion. I meant *in general* there are hedgies going to foster homes in the US; not that the ones headed to Canada are headed to foster homes. So, to rephrase what I was trying to say, I think that moving some out of US foster homes into forever homes - whether the forever home is in the US or Canada - is still possible. But those at HWS will know for certain.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So am I correct in my understanding that I am no longer able to get a Texas rescue in Ontario? If so, that's okay, just happy that all the little ones found homes :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
emeko said:
So am I correct in my understanding that I am no longer able to get a Texas rescue in Ontario? If so, that's okay, just happy that all the little ones found homes :)
You would have to talk with HWS about it. They are the ones adopting out the hedgehogs and organizing the trains. Have you been approved for one?

Hedgehogs are illegal in Windsor?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, they haven't applied or anything yet, it was an idea we just had. We've been in the process of finding them a baby from a breeder for a while, and it was kinda like, "you know, there's kind of this big rescue project.." so I just thought we could check it out. They're not even totally sure they want to go that route yet. And they're not in Windsor, it's just that the Windsor crossing is only about 40 minutes away.

Now I kind of doubt they'll pursue it in time to get one of these hedgehogs-- they're still too early in planning and everything. Thanks for your responses though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts