Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since September 12, Tangelo is in my appartment, in the laundry/office room. When I tried all the heating everywhere, I found out the themostat in the office was broken. I can repair it, I have the part, but my floor was badly installed and it "poped" up about a feet in the air, causing the closed door to be stuck open... in front of the heather. The days are gettting colder and even with a heathing pad, it's about 21C in the cage.

So I wonder, even if it's shy of 3 weeks, should I end quarentaine. My only "viable" option is in the kitchen... under my table (that means a bit dark and I have to find a place for chairs). What should I do?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Is there any way you can get a space heater with built-in thermostat that you'd trust? That would be my first choice. Second would be to get a wire top/plastic bottom cage and hook up a ceramic heat emitter with thermostat control.

I will admit, however, that I had a similar issue with two guinea pigs -- different circumstances, but same set of choices resulted. I took the new one to the vet for a check-up in case the vet could see anything that I couldn't and ended quarantine early. It ended up okay for them. But you really have to be prepared to deal with the consequences if it doesn't (ie, the stress caused to both animals resulting from illness, vet visits, and treatment... and, of course, the hit on your pocket book).

And, perhaps, there's a middle of the road solution? For example, maybe they could be in the same room, but on opposite sides - even if it temporarily means something silly for you like putting your bed in the exact center of the bedroom to accomodate hedgies on either side or taking your microwave out of the kitchen and putting it in your office to create space.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don't want to buy a space heater/ceramic emmiter that I would probably won't need anymore in 2 weeks.

Tangelo seems fine, no signs of mites or illness, but in a perfect world I would wait. Tangelo's place in the living room (they are not in my bedroom cause they are too noisy) will actually be at the oposite of Litchi... but still. I can't remove my microwave since it's on a "stand" but maybe I can place his bin in place of the recycling bin. I"ll see about that tonight.

I just wish my landloard would stop making excuses like "the guy in vaction" the guy is sick" "we had a fire elsewhere and he's on that case". My floor is like that since 2 1/2 months and even my dryier isn't level anymore because of that. Plus the fact that I can't access to my baseboard heater :x

·
Registered
372 Posts
Safety first.

Just keep them as far apart as possible, continue practising good sanitation (washing hands, changing clothes between handling and keeping excercise areas separate) and it should be fine. I'd add probiotics to the diet to help prevent any GI upset from transferring gut bacteria that being closer can cause but that would be it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts