Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a female hedgehog form a lady at work. When I got her I noticed right away something is wrong with her ears. I have had her since Friday.

When I googled tattered ears I got 3 suggestions.
1) Mites
2) Fungus
3) Nutritional deficeincy

I just wondered if someone could take a look. It wouldnt surprise me if it was a deficiency as the lady said the hedgehog would go 3 weeks without getting fed sometime, and her nails were so overgrown her toes were curling. I have her all clipped up, bathed and eating well everday but am concerned with her ears.

The pics are not the best but I think it shows the tattered edges pretty well.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
She is a cutie! Her ears are pretty bad, but with hedgies, a lot of the reason they get tattered ears is because of dry skin. The dead skin builds up & layers on the ears. The oil, or bagbalm, or whatever you decide to use should help. It can take several weeks. But I would try that first & only worry about something else if it doesn't help.
It's pretty common in rescues.
That being said, it is a good idea to get a wellness check done at the vets a couple weeks after getting a hedgie. If you don't see any improvement by then, it's something they can check out.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I have had more hedgehogs with tattered ears than I can count but not one has been caused by anything other than dry skin and dirt buildup as PJM has mentioned.

Use something like bag balm, vaseline, jojoba oil, vit E or flax seed oil and rub gently on the tatters each day. Depending on how well she allows you to rub, the taters should start coming off either immediately, or within a week. If you are able to rub quit well and they don't come off, then a vet visit is needed to see if it's something else.

She is adorable. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nancy said:
I have had more hedgehogs with tattered ears than I can count but not one has been caused by anything other than dry skin and dirt buildup as PJM has mentioned.

Use something like bag balm, vaseline, jojoba oil, vit E or flax seed oil and rub gently on the tatters each day. Depending on how well she allows you to rub, the taters should start coming off either immediately, or within a week. If you are able to rub quit well and they don't come off, then a vet visit is needed to see if it's something else.

Hey I have jojoba oil can I just use it alone? Or do I have to use something after it? :eek:

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
xo.QuilliesMommie said:
Nancy said:

Hey I have jojoba oil can I just use it alone? Or do I have to use something after it? :eek:
That's fine. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I've had my hedgehog, Loki for about 2 weeks now and just started noticing his tattered ears, I saw that vitamin E oil was good to get rid of the tatters, today was my first night applying it and I noticed nothing really changed, so am I not putting enough on or something? This is my first hedgehog as well. (sorry for the bad angles, he wasn't feeling very photo-genic)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a hedgehog that I feel really bad about. Idk if it's just me or if it's not right to be living like she is. I mean it's a lonely life for her. My boyfriend doesn't want to bathe her very often. I'm too nervous to pick her up not because of her prickles but because I had a head trauma that ended in emergency brain surgery and as a result' I drop things I'm holding 75% of the time and I don't trust myself. I'm good when I cuddle with her but picking her up I. And out of her cizy Cage

1 - 15 of 15 Posts