Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should i do? and could i leave my cage at home or would that cause stress......... I need help. Can i just take the carriering case and take the wheel or what should i doo and what would cause less stress......I need help

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IT will prob be really cold out. next time i go to my mom's I am 13 so i really dont have a say in when i see her. i would like to see her a lot but i am not sur????? Should i take the cage with me and have a few shirts in the cage when we are at the house with different and new smells or what?

HEEELLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for helping if you can

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
If you can, it would be best to leave your hedgie at the house you spend the most time at. That can be difficult, though, if your mom/dad doesn't want to take care of your hedgie while you are gone. If necessary, you can bring him/her with you wherever you are at the time. If you do that I would recommend using a modified tub cage, unless you are able to have a similar setup at each house. You could then take the tub with you, they are easy to transport. You will probably want to use a space heater to keep hedgie warm.

If this is just one visit, how long will you be gone?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Get a small hard sided carrier for traveling.

I think I'm understanding your question right but I'm not sure. You mainly live with your Dad. You sometimes go to visit your sister and your mom (who live separately) and stay for a couple of days. Your mom has 3 cats and a dog.

Here is what I would do. Make sure there is a room where you can close the door for your hedgehog to stay in. The cats and dog should not be allowed in the same room as the cage unless you are there too. If it is a big energetic dog I would be very careful about letting it have any contact with your hedgehog. It is probably best to keep the hedgehog away from the other animals.

You have a few options for a cage at your mom's house, either take the whole set up you have at your dad's or get a steralite bin (plastic storage bin) with holes drilled in the side. Unless someone is willing to help you make a small cage out of a storage bin it is probably easier to just take the current cage.

I moved out of my parents house about two years ago and Quigley and I go back to visit. We'll stay there overnight or up to a few weeks. There is lots to consider but it is totally possible.

I have a storage bin with a lid to keep the cats out (we used to sleep in the basement with no door). I use the bin to hold all of his stuff and then keep him in his carrier for the car ride. when we get there I set up the bin as his cage. It has dirty liners for the first day, his wheel, a food and water dish and a hiding spot. All of which I just bring with me from his regular cage. It's ok if his temporary cage is smaller than his normal cage if it will just be for a few days.

I borrow my parents space heater to keep the area warm if it is too cold. The only problems I have had with the cats is them stealing his food out from his playpen. My parents also have a dog but he is afraid of the hedgehog and so keeps his distance.

Quigley does fine with the car trip even though it is relatively long (two hours approx.) and doesn't mind his small cage, although tends to tip the water dish because it is too close to his sleeping spot. He also gets along fine with the cats, basically ignores them and they ignore him.

Be careful if you do decide to introduce your hedgehog to your mom's cats and dog. If you can't close your room off then you will have to make sure that the hedgehog cage you use at your mom's is cat proof and it would probably be best on the floor so it can't be knocked off any shelf or table.

That's pretty long, I hope I didn't miss anything.

Good luck with your trip. Once you and your hedgehog get into a little travelling together routine it shouldn't be a problem at all.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you and that will be a great help. You were perfitly right and expect my sister is the one with the animals but i will prob keep they hedgie at my moms when i am at my sisters. I think i can trust her but i am not sure....... SHe fried my camlion to a crisp so i am not sure.... I will tell what to do and stuff but i am glad you wrote me. And my mom is buying me a traveling cage. Would it be ok if i used a soft case instead of a hard one????? Why orr Why not?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would use a hard sided one but it's really your choice. The reason for a hard sided one is that it is safer for the hedgehog if there is a car accident, the pet cage is more likely to be spotted and him to be rescued from the crash. Also I find them easier to clean. Some hedgehogs get motion sick and throw up on car rides and even if your doesn't he is likely to poop and pee in the carrier. A soft sided one unless it is machine washable will be harder to clean out than hard sided one.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. am getting one tomorow and i will look at both and make sure that if i get a soft one then it is washable

1 - 10 of 10 Posts