Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I hope someone can give me some advice on syringe feeding. I have a 4-5 year old male hedgehog named Doctor. He stopped eating/drinking/pooping a couple days ago. I brought him in to the Emergency clinic Sunday night and was there until 2am. The vet couldn't tell me anything specific wrong with him, unfortunately. He hydrated him thru his skin, gave me an antibiotic to give to him twice a day, and Emeraid Critical Care System to feed him. He's never been an especially friendly animal, but we've always been able to hold him without getting poked by his quills. I have been trying to syringe feed him every so often today and give him his medicine. I've gotten some of each in him, but now he just gets crabbier and crabbier, and balls up in a tight prickly ball and I can't get the syringe near his mouth at all. He walks around in his cage, but the minute I get the syringe near him he huffs and tucks his head under and I can't get close to his mouth again. If I pick him up he balls up tighter than tight. I put him on my chest and try to wait him out, which worked the first few times, but he's gotten wise to that now and again, tucks his head down faster than I can get to his mouth, even if I'm right there ready to put it in. I don't know what to do anymore. I can't seem to get anything in him anymore at all. I've seen him drink from his water bowl just once this afternoon for a few licks, but still hasn't eaten. He usually eats just dry cat food, but I've tried baby food, wet cat food, mealworms... nothing entices him at all. He's taken a couple licks of baby food, but that's all too. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Syringe feeding

Hey!

I had to syringe feed my girl after she had a leg injury and stopped eating for a few days. I burritoed her in a fleece blanket so that she couldn't escape, held her against my stomach with one hand and fed her with the other. The syringe I used was also tiny and I pushed it in through the side of her mouth so she couldn't move her head away as much. She got used to this and it got easier every time! Hopefully this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts