Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Layla is on 2 different antibiotics twice a day now, one for her skin infection and one for her gut bacteria buildup. One is 0.2mLs of Trimethoprim Sulfa every 12 hours and the other is ).14mLs of Metronidazole every 12 hours.

While I've only tried it once as I just took her to the vet and got them earlier today, she was awful about it, and one of them got more on her fur than in her mouth :| I need advice for syringe feeding an EXTREMELY squirmy hog.

She really really needs to get these into her and my vet said that because she needs to be sure to ingest all of it, i cannot just put it on food or anything. To make matters worse, she has a fractured upper left canine, so I have to be careful about that.

To make everything EVEN worse, I am about to head out of town for 2 1/2 days for a horse show, and my dad is staying behind to watch Layla. I feel confident leaving her in his care, except for the syringe medicine. Of course he has to do it, but i need to figure out a way of calming Layla down to do this so that I can trust him to do this twice a day for her (he has very little patience unfortunately, so no, this is not an ideal situation). because she is so adamant against it, I'm worried about her gagging/choking/asphyxiating of course. The last thing we need right now is pneumonia.

Help please!

·
Registered
944 Posts
There is a sticky in the health forum about syringe feeding, it may even have a video. I'm on a tablet, so I can't do a link, but it's there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a sticky in the health forum about syringe feeding, it may even have a video. I'm on a tablet, so I can't do a link, but it's there.
Oh ok thank you, I hadn't found it before, I'll go look for it now, thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think there are several youtube videos about this topic as well. I personally use the "Hedgehog Burrito" method. Also, make sure your Dad puts the meds in on the non-tender side of her mouth.
Best wishes,
Susan H.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts