Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Porkchop has been sick off and on since 8/28. She hurts her legs, then gets bowel movement issues that caused a skin infection that removed hair on her lower stomach. She has been to the vet 3 times and it has been very expensive so I'm asking on here

Does anybody know what could make her vagina swell? It was extremely swollen the other morning (but she was fine when I went to work that night) to the point where I had to give her pain meds. I've been keeping her clean (she has always slept in her own pee/poop, and has been on Baytril and Metronidazole so I don't think she does it from a uti or anything), and I've been putting silver cream on her, which we used for her skin infection. The swelling has gone down a bit...but not completely (today is day 3). She's still eating a lot, drinking lots of water, pooping, peeing, exploring, etc. So no major changes there. She did swell last time she had an infection, but her skin was very red/raw. She isn't very red now, which is why I'm concerned.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Does anyone know if A& D ointment is safe for hedgies? You need a barrier that won't let too much moisture through. I know Desitin is great for human babies but they wouldn't be licking it off, that's why I am thinking A & D might be safe, since it's vitamins A and D.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vet gave the go ahead for A&D, but it tends to smother skin and cause a rash. I started using petroleum jelly on her and she was okay. But it wasn't enough so she has silver sulfadiazine cream (which makes her puke if she licks). So it's kinda hard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts