Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We Just had a litter on April 11th, the babies are now 8 weeks old. I was looking at he little babie male and on his underside it looks as though his testi's are very swollen, looks somewhat like a cyst. i was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this and if it is normal.
i have included pictures to show what i mean.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
For an average 8 week old it is large. At that age, there are a few who are more well developed but that looks to be concentrated on one side and more pronounced than even those that are well endowed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There is a very good chance he has orchitis, which is a bacterial infection that requires treatment by a veterinarian. It's very painful and can lead to bladder infections (due to holding urine to prevent pain) as well as constipation (straining bowel movements also are painful). This is NOT something you can treat at home and it's NOT something that will resolve itself.

I've never owned a hedgehog with orchitis but I have had a dog with it. The symptoms are similar.

There is also something called testicular torsion, which is even more of a medical emergency.

Find a vet and get him in ASAP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts