Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Hedgie fam! Sorry for being M.I.A. for the past month or two! Just a quick update: Wonton is doing great - still her sassy and bratty self, and we got a new addition to our family! Twinkie is the name, and she is a gorgeous and tiny little 4-months-old hedgie. :smile:

I got Twinkie from a previous owner who couldn't provide a home for Twinkie anymore since she is moving to a no-pets-allowed apartment, and once I got a hold of Twinkie, I noticed that she has an abnormal looking eye. Upon further inspection, I believe that it might be a swollen eye...? It looks somewhat infected, but when I asked the former owner, she said she bought Twinkie like that (from a pet store), but always thought that Twinkie just has one eye smaller than the other.

I really want to bring Twinkie to the vet to let her be checked, but at the same time, if you all agree that it is in fact an infected eye, I want to see if I can skip the general examination and just get the medication for her eye. However... I am a little pessimistic about Twinkie's left eye because it has been a while already since her eye is "infected". My main concern is if it is actually causing pain. :(

This is her normal looking eye (right side)

And this is her "swollen" eye (left side)

What are your thoughts? Please do leave the name of the medicine given to your hedgie if he/she has experience this before. X:

On a side note - not particularly related to her eye - she has been losing a lot of quills. Do they still quill at 4/5-months-old, or is it due to the stress? Wonton lost only a couple quills during her move to my house from her previous owner, so it caught me by surprise by the number of quills I found laying everywhere. In my defense, Wonton was a full grown adult by the time I started taking care of her, so Twinkie is my first real baby hedgie!

Thanks for your replies!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Since she's new to you and already has one issue, it'd probably be best to go ahead & get a full examination in addition to getting medication for the eye. I would also get some Revolution, just in case. Quilling shouldn't be happening at 4-5 months, and while it could be stress, might as well get some Revolution to treat her with while you're at the vet. Is she on wood bedding?

Make sure you quarantine her from Wonton unless you've already had them in the same room. It's best to keep them in separate rooms if possible, for at least 1 month, and handle Wonton before you handle Twinkie. Even if you've already placed them in the same room, etc., best to keep them separated as much as possible still, especially if Twinkie might have mites.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't see a particular spot to be balding, but she does have really dry skin (it went all over my black pants ). Right now, I do't use any bedding for her, but her previous owner seemed to have used something like Care fresh, or something soft like that.

Her left eye does look infected, right?

Wonton and Twinkie have already met, but they haven't played much with each other. Mainly because Twinkie shuts down Wonton whenever Wonton wants to get near and sniff her. Haha.

I guess I'll make an appointment with the vet!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I would guess yes, it's infected. Either way, it should really be seen by a vet to see if there's anything that can be done to lessen the swelling, check for pain, and make her more comfortable. Glad you're making an appointment. :)

Just for future knowledge, and anyone who might be checking the thread out, make sure in the future you quarantine new animals if at all possible, no matter where you get them from. Even hedgehogs from breeders can end up being sick, and it can be more likely from a rehome or rescue. You can't know until symptoms show up, and by then it's too late and you'll have already exposed your other pet(s) to the illness.

That said, I would guess her issue is probably dry skin. Oatmeal baths and oil on food/skin can help. Just make sure to not overdo the oil (only once a week, if that), and if you notice the symptoms getting worse or changing, stop the oil & head back to the vet in case it's a skin infection instead.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys! Just a little update on Twinkie!

We went to the vet, and he thinks that she either experienced some trauma when she was a baby, or she was born like that (genetics). He was pretty sure that she is blind in the left eye, because the cornea looks damaged. He still prescribed me an ointment (Ciloxan 0,3%) anyway, and I am supposed to go back for a visit after a week. The vet applied the ointment during our visit, and I did it 2 more times today. Looking at her eye so far, it seems to have improved! Maybe I am just seeing things, but her eye looks like it's opening up! So maybe it is an infection after all. Things are looking good so far, and I am really hoping that the ointment will fix her eye up!

Also, she stopped losing quills! Yay! There is still the odd one falling off here and there, but I am still happy that she is not losing 10+ quills in one day, haha.

On a side note, Twinkie's nail seems to be ripping off... I don't know how that happened, but maybe she is too focused on digging herself into the pile of clothes, haha. It is worrying me a tad bit though, because she keeps reopening the wound whenever she digs. Should I be doing something about her nail, or would it eventually heal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts