Hedgehog Central banner

Swollen eye and weird sounds

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JimmayAnne 
#1 ·
Milkiey, my 4 years old hedgehog, had his right eye swollen and and there's some kind of membrane, like the white stuffs of cataract eyes but this white membrane is crumpled up and sticking to his swollen eye. I'm not sure if it's just some kind of dirt, but I tried rubbing it and it just won't come off. And his eye is watery too.

Also, another thing, he had been making this weird sounds for several days, like repetitive clicking noises especially when he's eating and drinking, or smacking his lips. It doesn't sound like the usual sounds he usually made in those years with me.

Can anyone tell me what could be the problem? I'm calling my vet but I think she can come tomorrow morning... I want to know what I can do now. He's an old guy and I hope he's okay.. he's my best buddy.

Last two weeks, he stayed in my friend's place, where he kept in a cage with wood shavings.... With me he usually roam in a hedgie-safe room and sleep under a blanket. Yesterday when I got him back, his eye seemed okay though. I wonder what's wrong... help please :(

#4 ·
If it was an allergy, I would think it'd have swelled up during the stay with the friend & been swollen already when picked up. It sounds (from what I'm reading) like he looked fine when you got him again & has swelled up since then?

I don't think I really have any advice, unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with eye issues. I'm glad you're calling his vet, definitely get him seen soon. Let us know what the vet says!

#5 ·
hi guys. Sorry for not checking here.

So I the vet came and she said it's some irritation because of some ants. Found one inside his mouth, it stuck there and caused his mouth to swell a little thus he's making those weird sounds. There are ants everywhere, they even broke my desk lamp. I drove them away with some pesticides, and cleaned up before my hedgie's time to roam the room.

I got some ointment to apply on his eye and swelling mouth.

But after a few days the eye got worse. I seems that the little pieces of fluff from the blanket got stuck in there. Never happened before :( We tried to remove them... but when we tried to pull away the last one, Milkiey moved suddenly and ... well his outer eye was rip open. It was horrible... his lens popped out. So one of his eye went blind... it's sad but i hope there will not be further infection.

I think he's a little less active and in pain but he's still eating, thank goodness. I'm using some old cloth for his blanket now so nothing will stick in his eyes again.

I'll continue the medication for now and do what the vet said. I just hope he'll be okay again... he is a really tough little guy. And very nice too. I can't believe he didn't even roll into a ball when I'm trying to treat his eye and mouth. It helped me a lot since I'm allergic to hedgies.

And I'm keeping his lens... it's scary but it might be the only part of him I can keep when he pass on.. not that I'm giving up on him soon.

By the way what are the signs of mouth tumor? I'm a little worried if the little lump on his mouth is actually a tumor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.