Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Any experienced hedgehog owners? I have been having ****** for about 3 years, and recently she lost quite a bit of weight. And first she had ear inflammation which was handled properly and given drops and antibiotics which subsided the inflammation and it went away. But recently after a vet visit, she had a swollen gum and cheeks, resulting in a tooth removal. However, the swelling did not go away and her lump appeared even bigger. Brought her back to the vet which the vet said may be a tooth problem, and that a her bottom tooth were shaky, therefore it got removed again. Right now, she’s chewing her food well, drinking, eating and digesting her food well. But her cheeks and gum are so swollen, her third eyelids are protruding now. Any hedgehog owners had similar experiences? I lost my other hedgehog due to fatty liver last year, therefore i am taking ****** to the vet often, just in case. However the swelling does not seem to be going away, and my vet said to keep a look out if the swelling subsides and if she gains back weight. Else a euthanasia has to be performed, to remove the lump surgically and send it for lab test to see if it’s a cancer tumour. Any advices? Pls help!!!
Rodent Whiskers Fawn Rat Terrestrial animal

Head Rodent Felidae Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats

Eye Carnivore Whiskers Fawn Rodent

Eye Domesticated hedgehog Erinaceidae Hedgehog Rodent

· Administrator
3,917 Posts
Unfortunately, I'd suggest asking your vet to do a biopsy on the mass. Oral cancers are very common in hedgehogs and this could very well be cancer. Has your vet put her on any medication? Metacam, a pain medication, or prednisone, a steroid that may help with the inflammation, may help provide some relief.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I'd suggest asking your vet to do a biopsy on the mass. Oral cancers are very common in hedgehogs and this could very well be cancer. Has your vet put her on any medication? Metacam, a pain medication, or prednisone, a steroid that may help with the inflammation, may help provide some relief.
Dear kalandra, thank you for the reply. My vet has provided her antiobiotics and gave her some shots, however not any steroid or pain medication. My vet has recommended surgery to remove the lump and see if it is a cancer tumour, but also ask for me to see if the lump can be untouched, if she is eating well and gaining weight. She is definitely eating well, but losing weight. And i am afraid as well that euthanasia is bad, and that she may not be able to wake up. Please do enlighten me further as i am desperate now, as it pains me so much to see her like this. Thank you, for your help eitherways. Greatly appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.