Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking my 7 week old baby up from the breeder tomorrow after work. The breeder feeds Taste of the Wild. I know it's a good food, but I don't have regular access to it. I have purchased a bag of Blue Buffalo Freedom. (32% protein 13% fat 7% fiber Deboned Chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, peas, potatoes) that I would like to switch to (I'd like to add in Simply Nourish food as well, but I thought one thing at a time!) The big question I have here is how long should my new girl be on the breeder's food before I switch her? The breeder is sending 5-7 days worth of food. Should I buy a bag of TotW?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It'd probably be a good idea to buy a bag of TotW or see if you can purchase an extra month's worth from your breeder. It's best to keep their diet the same for the first couple of weeks while they're adjusting to their new home, and then you'll want to take at least 2-4 weeks to switch her over to Blue Buffalo slowly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking you'd probably say! lol I can get a bag of TotW, just not from the pet sore I work at. No employee discount! That's the real reason I want to switch away from it. I've been reading that 3+ kinds mixed together is preferred. Should I go with 3? How much does an average hedgie eat a night?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
:lol: I did the same thing since I worked at a pet store for half of the time I had Lily. Lucky for me, my pet store had the best selection of high-quality foods in our area!

Number of foods is totally up to you. At least two is best, but more can't hurt. I usually had at least three foods mixed for Lily because I liked the greater variety (especially since each food had a different main meat - duck, lamb, and chicken). From what I've read, 2-4 tablespoons a night seems to be pretty typical, though there's hedgies that will eat more than that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i like to do three was well, that way she will still have two foods she likes if they stop making or change one. I had four in her mix but they stopped making one of them, then out of the three that were left they changed the formula and my hedgie will not eat it now LOL I finally found a thrid one to add back that she eats.

Can you buy taste of the wild online maybe? That way it's easier for you to get the hedgie used to the new foods and then you will have three for your mix provided your hedgie likes the other two you plan on feeding lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will Buy a bag of TotW when I get her, and let her settle in then start adding in the BB and eventually add in the Simply Nourish. I'm finding that most canned foods seem too high in protein, so I'll be doing dry food until I get a good mix going!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Canned foods aren't really recommended unless your hedgie is having a hard time eating like from illness or recovering from surgery. Just because as you said they are too high in protein and there is also the issue that they are sitting in warm cage which encourages fast bacterial growth which can make your hedgie sick :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For anyone who's switched before: I've noticed this morning that last night Pudge picked out all the NEW pieces and ate them and she ate some of the old stuff. All that's left in the bowl is the old (TotW) food. Is this good? Bad? Is there anything I can do either way?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Not much other than be glad she obviously likes the new food! :) I would stick to the switching schedule you had planned though, since she's still eating her old food as well, and (I'm guessing?) eating enough. Even if she likes it, best to avoid possible stomach upset from just going ahead too quickly. Glad she approves of the new food!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only real worry I have is if she's picking out the new stuff she's eating more new than I had planned, and I've noticed some squishy poo. I assume it's a little upsetting to her tummy to speed up the switch. Should I worry about the squishy stuff, or just let her work it out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts