Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to switch my hedgie's food from Purina Pro Plan Savor Adult Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Cat Food to Natural Balance Original Ultra Whole Body Health Cat Food because it seems a lot healthier than the one I'm feeding her now. But she just gave birth to four hoglets. When should I start switching her food? Should I start a little bit now so by the time the hoglets start weaning they'll be eating the new food? Or is it going to mess up with how the moms currently feeding the hoglets? I just need to know the best and healthiest way to go about this, please help!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hopefully, someone with breeding experience will answer, but I assume you wouldn't want to switch anything until the babies are weaned.

In my opinion, the risk of stressing the mom out with a food change is much greater than the risk posed by leaving her on her current food until the babies are weaned.

But again, I don't have any actual breeding experience, so I can't be 100% sure. That's just what makes sense to me from my studies thus far.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
A mix is really a better option, it protects you if there is recalls or the company changes formulas. Also one food can fill some nutritional gaps of other foods. That being said... In a previous post you mentioned that your hedgehog is a picky eater. Changing her diet could cause additional stress on her when she has already experienced enough lately. She gave birth, her cage was moved and she wasn't given the privacy she needed. I would hold off on trying to cause additional stress by giving her an unnecessary change in diet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, but I want the babies to at least somewhat on that food. Idk if its safe to continue switching food after theyre weaned either. I'm not sure what's best I would just prefer that they start weaning on the new food

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
You can't make any changes until the babies are weaned. As I've said before changing anything stresses mom and a stressed mom is much more likely to hurt the babies that a mom that isn't stressed. Please please please do NOT make ANY changes in anything in the cage or anything to do with mom until the babies are weaned.

Edited to add: I deleted your other post asking the same question. Please only start one thread for a question, multiples are not needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.