Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know my little bundle Priscilla by now; I've had her since mid-nov and she is my first hedgehog. Her first vet check a few days after adoption showed she was about 100g over the weight she should be (450g as opposed to 350g). She has a little 'chin fat' when she balls but when she is 'out' she doesn't look chubby to me... although perhaps I'm just like those mothers on the Maury show who think their obese children are absolutely fine...

Either way, P came from a pet store where they were free-feeding her, which I know from asking on here works well sometimes, but the vet advised designated mealtimes (snack for the day, full food for the span of the night) and we measure the amount of food (approx 2-3 tsps of wet/dry). She has already lost 30g over two months or so which is good according to the vet but I worry about her exercise level since she seems to have gone off her wheel. She'll use it most nights still, but it's not nearly as 'visibly used' (if you catch my drift) in the mornings any more. This has been the case for about 2 weeks.

So along with lots of run-around time on the floor, I thought we would start swimming lessons. She's had 2 times in the tub now, but I'm having a hard time knowing if she is loving it or hating it!

Firstly I'll note we've only put her in for 5 minutes max. I put a block in the middle, slightly submerged so she can easily get onto it to rest, and I occasionally put her back up on it in case she was upset, but every time she would launch back off into the water right away. I'm hoping this means she likes swimming, but I'm not totally sure due to a few things:

1) She always swims to the edge of the tub where we are watching and treads water - does she need out?
2) She poops a lot in the water and that got me concerned as I thought she may be in distress, but at the same time I know movement = poop with hedgehogs, ala wheel time
3) She makes a noise when swimming which I cannot work out as a good or bad thing! It's not the quiet high tweeting sound she makes which we are almost certain means 'happy', but it's not snuffling-based. It's like the sound you'd get if you ran your finger along a squeaky clean dish after washing up, over and over, quietly.
4) She normally moves to the shallower side of the bath to swim/tread water: laziness or panic?

She's normally so easy to read but I find it impossible to tell by her face and eyes when she is extended and not balled up if she is enjoying herself. She got the hang of swimming within a few seconds, after she once submerged her nose by mistake and then blew little bathwater nose bubbles. That was the first time we picked her out and put her on her resting block, because we were worried she'd inhaled water and might not be alright, but she jumped right back in.

If anyone has any hedgehog swimming stories or advice on whether this is something we can continue I would be really happy to hear from you!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Silly girl seems to be giving mixed signals. If she jumps back in after you set her on the resting block then I'd say she likes it. Yet, if she heads for the shallow end, that makes me wonder if perhaps she doesn't. Maybe she likes it but only at the shallow end. :lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
my boy used to do the shallow thing , eventualy he started not careing what side of the tub he was swimming on .. as far as the poop yea swimming + hog = hogpoop in water .

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've given up on it and decided to just say Pokey hates it. He did the same exact thing you're talking about except when I went to put him back on his rock ( I found a large rock for him to use instead of plastic) he tries to run up my arm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How often is it safe to let your Hedghog swim, I know the skin gets dry, but I've heard many different things.
Some say twice a year- some say twice a month.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Stella, I'm definitely no expert but I'd say once or twice a month shouldn't be an issue as long as your hedgehog has healthy skin. Our breeder said we could bathe mine twice a month since I live in a higher humidity state. If you're worried though put a drop of flax seed oil into the bathwater so it's moisturized.

Anyone with more experience can feel free to come along and correct what I've just said!

·
Registered
4 Posts
how much is to much bathing? i give my boy a bath every week(he seems to love to pee on his wheel than run on it right after.) I want to keep him clean but is it to much?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tonight was Stellas first swim, and I believe she likes it! :lol:
She was doing laps and rolling over on her back and trying to float, treading water like an olympic swimmer.
She was so excited that for about 30 minutes after I took her out and got her dried off (she fought me the WHOLE time) she ran circles on my bed and would not stop.

Nancy said:
Silly girl seems to be giving mixed signals. If she jumps back in after you set her on the resting block then I'd say she likes it. Yet, if she heads for the shallow end, that makes me wonder if perhaps she doesn't. Maybe she likes it but only at the shallow end. :lol:
Stella also seemed to prefer the shallow end at first but I noticed that if I put my hand in the water and let her use it as a flotation device for her front feet she started to enjoy herself! She was all over the tub.
Try giving your Hedgie your hand maybe she'll trust the water more!

·
Registered
128 Posts
OMG Stella, that sounds sooo cute!!! I love watching hedgehogs play!

I've only bathed my hedgehogs in the sink. Zeus likes it, but we've been bathing him since he was a baby. He doesn't swim, but he walks around drinking the water and lays down on his belly in shallow water and stretches out.

Aries and Artemis hate bath time! We got them when they were a little older, 1 year and 5 mos, respectively. They both try to crawl up my arm to escape the horrible, horrible bath!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts