Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a local humane society, and we just heard of a case where a poor bunny was poisoned by a floor cleaner that the owner thought was safe.

Our director also lost a kitty a few years ago to eating a household plant.

So I know hedgie owners watch their hedgies like they would watch curious toddlers, but I thought I would post this warning that I was given from the director of our humane society.

Recently someone had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe.

My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated 'may be harmful to small children and animals.' He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients (actually, he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze). Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking its own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver.

Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so they don't lose their animals.

This is equally harmful to babies and small children that play on the floor a lot and put their fingers in their mouths.


Now this could just be a sensationalized story, but I would still be cautious. Be particularly careful about any sort of cleaner that is "spray-on, no rinse needed" like Swiffers, Windex, spray-on dirt removers, etc.

Just a head's up from the humane society I work with... the heartbreaking stories we are told are pretty devastating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it might have been sensationalized... I'll pass that back on.

I think I'd still be cautious about using things like Swiffer wetjet or windex around pets. The perfume smells are so strong, and there is a caution on the side of the box saying:

"Avoid accidents: Keep out of reach of children and pets to avoid accidental ingestion. In case of eye contact or prolonged exposure to skin, flush with water to remove irritation. If irritation persists, call a physician" (I'm copying this directly off the Swiffer wet mop refill container we have in my apartment - I do not have pets here)

Clearly it can still irritate skin or cause problems if ingested. I wouldn't take the chance with toddlers or pets...
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top