Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have absolutely zero experience in hedgehog breeding, nor did I ever intend to make babies. I purchased a pet on May 15th and brought her home & named her Hazel. I went to change her bedding on June 24th and noticed a tiny pokey ball in her house ?!?!?! What do I do?? How can I tell the age of this baby? Yesterday (June 27th) I noticed it had pigment on the skin & base of the quills which was not there before. Usually when I get her out of her cage I don't mess with her bungalo so it couldn't have been more than a week old as that is how often I do an entire cage change. I haven't touched the baby so I don't upset Hazel but I really am curious if I can figure out which day this little hoglet was born.
Also what should I offer to Hazel while she is nursing? She seems to be a phenomenal mommy thus far so I'm just letting her be. As far as I can tell there is only one baby.
Thank you in advance for being helpful & kind during my forced learning experience :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Congratulations on your hedgehogs unplanned labour! :)

Leave the baby with Hazel until it is 5- 6 weeks old.Is the baby still pink-ish?

I hope this will help with guessing the age of the baby:

Age Weight Range Length Range
1 month 4–6 ounces 1–2 inches
2 months 7–9 ounces 2–4 inches
3 months10–12 ounces 2–4 inches
4 months13–15 ounces4–12 inches

It's important after about four weeks to provide the hoglets with an additional food supply since they will be suckling less. You can give them wet cat food or dry kitten food soaked with water to make things easy on them. Mom and babies should be kept in a quiet, secluded spot in your house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on your hedgehogs unplanned labour! :)

Leave the baby with Hazel until it is 5- 6 weeks old.Is the baby still pink-ish?

I hope this will help with guessing the age of the baby:

Age Weight Range Length Range
1 month 4–6 ounces 1–2 inches
2 months 7–9 ounces 2–4 inches
3 months10–12 ounces 2–4 inches
4 months13–15 ounces4–12 inches

It's important after about four weeks to provide the hoglets with an additional food supply since they will be suckling less. You can give them wet cat food or dry kitten food soaked with water to make things easy on them. Mom and babies should be kept in a quiet, secluded spot in your house.
Thank you so much for the info! I frantically researched until I couldn't read anymore lol Hazel & baby boy, Henry are doing amazing. She only had one thankfully! My kids are over the moon so we are keeping him. We are guessing that he is 3.5 weeks now. I found a daily picture for growth rate 😁

1 - 3 of 3 Posts