Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I have had my new hedgehog for about two weeks and SURPRISE she had three babies last night.

I have read through some of the forums and know that it's extremely important that she be left undisturbed.

My problem is where her home currently is- right near a busy staircase. We had put her there temporarily for the night, really bad timing on our part! I want to place her in a more quiet area of the room but I'm scared of stressing her out. What do you guys think? And also what are some signs that she's not taking care of the babies, or that she's going to eat them?

I'm soooo scared!! :(

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would leave the cage where it is and put a sheet over it. Then tell everybody to be quiet. If you haven't had her for awhile then her temperament esp. with babies is unknown. You might stress her out by moving it, causing her to harm them. Take out her wheel, dont clean it for 4 weeks, and only disturb her to put clean food and water in her cage. try to make a schedule for it and do it the same time every day.

Usually if the mom rejects them with no known cause it'll be within the first two weeks. you will hear very insistent squeaks that will get louder as time goes on, so dont worry about that.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would not move her she needs at least a few days to figure out what to do. I would try to stay away best you can cover her cage with a blanket that mite help make her feel safe. When did babys arive also how far are you looking to move her?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The babies arrived sometime in the night or wee morning between midnight and 7am. I was planning on moving her about 6 feet to the back of the room. My boyfriend and I placed a towel over her cage.

I'm extra worried because she's a little bit crazy. Her personality is "super hyper hog".

My bf and I work all day and we've told the roomates not to disturb her.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Some of the more experienced breeders will be along to help, but since I just had a litter I can give some advice on an surprise litter. My female had hers at the foot of my bed in my room, where I keep my dog during the day and I have to sleep with a TV on at night. Don't move her cage!! the movement and change of light might make her think that there is something after the babies and she might kill them. The towel over the cage might not be the best thing. it is problem blocking out to much of her light. if you think that you can (with out bothering her to much) just place something over the sides of the cage. Leaving the top open so that light can get in. but if you think that this might stress her to much just take the towel off when you put new food and water in. And NO PEEKING!!! NONE!! what-so-ever!! I know that this is heard, but the lives of the babies could depend on this. You will learn to love the sound of the peeping because it lets you know that they are sill alive and you will dread the silence because you will wonder if the worse has happened... But just take a deep breath and relaxed, mother nature will kick in and she should know what to do. and the feeding part if mom is doing what she needs to she will feed them as they need it. if you need to had feed there is a wonderful link on here as to how to do that. since I have never had to do that I will not try to give advice.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Before you take any advice here and change anything, I suggest you send a pm to Nancy or Nikki. The last time someone took nonbreeder advice to cover the cage, the mother attacked the babies. So please send them a pm before you change or do anything.

·
Registered
485 Posts
just spoke to my mentor you can move the cage get a person on each side of cage and move it slowly and quietly. my mentor has been breeding for 16 years and a big hellp

·
Registered
754 Posts
You can cover half the cage with a blanket or towel if mom is bothered by the movement of people. Be sure you take out the wheel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all, just an update:

One of the babies died the first day, but it's been over a week and the two remaining babies are getting big. The momma is doing a great job, we never hear the babies complain. She doesn't seem to get too startled either, so I think things will be alright.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Glad to hear things are going well. Sorry that you lost one of the babies, but two healthy babies is great news!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts