Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So, I've had a very interesting two weeks with my new hedgehog, Dr. Spike.

If you're interested in all the details, I made this post on reddit one week ago about a hedgehog I got last Sunday unexpectedly giving birth, and this reddit post a few hours ago about the current situation.

TL;DR of the background info, I had no idea my hedgehog was pregnant (was originally told it was a male), and it gave birth last friday, one week ago. She is 4 and a half months old, and the babies are almost definitely inbred. I was not at all prepared for babies, and don't want to give the babies back to the breeder, as they misdiagnosed the sex of my hedgehog, and I have been told that makes them untrustworthy in properly caring for them. I've gotten kitten food and have been mixing it with Dr. Spike's food (she seems to love it), and have been generally disturbing them as little as possible (their cage is in my room, unfortunately, but I try to be quiet while I'm in there) other than food and water, and some spot cleaning with mom is asleep on the other side of the (2ftx4ft) cage.

This morning, I took a peek into the cage and filled up water, and Dr. Spike and her two babies were all under the shirt that they've been nesting in in the cage. Around 11:30, I checked on them again, and they'd shifted around a bit, with one baby now out from under the shirt, balled up.

The temperature of my room dropped a bit this morning, from the usual 75-80F to a bit above 70, so I'm worried that this may be a hibernation attempt. I moved the baby to a shirt on top of a heating pad I keep under the cage, left it there for about half an hour with no change, then used a spoon to gently put it back under the nest/shirt, next to mom. In the past few hours, Dr. Spike moved around a bit so that I can no longer see the baby, but I'm very concerned for it- there's a hedgehog breeder I've gotten the number of that I can call this evening (in 5 or 6 hours), but I've read that hoglets need to eat every 2-3 hours, so I'm really worried that, if this is a hibernation attempt, he won't wake up and eat. It's already been at least 3.5 hours.

Could this be something else? Is there anything else I can do in the meantime? I've also pointed a 60W ceramic heat emitting lamp (the kind that doesn't give off light) at the nest area in hopes of making it a temperature that's better for them- my cage thermometer currently reads ~74F.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE!!

He woke up!! I came into my room a few minutes ago and both babies are crawling around! Angrily calling for mom to come over and feed them, lol. I'm so happy they're OK!! Should I be worried about this happening again?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts