Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a hedgehog -named Maybel- two days ago, who is five months old. She has been having very liquidy, smelly, brown poos. I have read that this is due to the stress from the change in environment and such; as her food remains the same as what she ate with her previous owner.
Does anyone know how long this might last?

I think she has been adapting pretty well..I gave her a litterbox and shes only been pooping and peeing in her litterbox and her wheel. She has also been comfortably sleeping in a t-shirt of mine :)

Thanks!
Cheyenne

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Green poop is the more common sign of stress...what you're describing sounds more like a possible intestinal infection or something to me, from what I've read. Is there any form to the poops, or are they mostly liquid/diarrhea? If they're more liquid than firm, I would schedule a vet visit for sometime in the next couple days, and make sure she's staying hydrated - that's the biggest danger of diarrhea, dehydration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I will definately keep an eye on it and if it continues I will make sure to contact the vet!

When I saw her at the previous owners place, there were only solid poops in her cage. Since coming home with me she has had some solid, formed poos, but others are mushy and not formed, and she has been drinking water.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Hm...they might just be stress poops then! If you want, you could try getting probiotics and adding them to his food to see if it helps his digestive system out. You can either get small animal Benebac (at pet stores, gel or powder form), or human acidophilus (pharmacy section of stores, near the vitamins). A pinch of powder or a bit of gel on a kibble or two each night can help restore good bacteria to his gut and may help him get over the bad poops sooner if it's just stress. Even if it ends up being nothing though, if you do take him to the vet, it's not a waste - it'll be a good opportunity for you both to meet your vet before an actual emergency & see how well your vet works with you and Maybel. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks so much for the advice! I will have to phone around tomorrow anyway to see what vets in the area could take care of Maybel in case of an emergency. I will give it another day, and if things arent cleared up by Friday I will definitely try out the probiotics you mentioned. If the probiotics dont help I will take her to the vet.

Thanks a lot, I'll let you know how things go!
Cheyenne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts