Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, my hedgehog is 9 months old and has been super playful since the beginning. She is still very very active, but in the past 2 days hasn't eaten or drank. I've tried changing her water and giving some different food, she won't eat anything. She has lost 80 grams recently but this is the only bad symptoms she is showing, everything else seems to be pretty normal. Don't esitate for questions if you need more to understand my condition. Thank you!

· Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
636 Posts
Huh. Maybe she is quilling and running to try to ease her discomfort? Like maybe trying to get the baby quills to get off her coat if they are loose? If she isn't eating, you can syringe feed her, just mix up her food to mush with water, and put it in a syringe to feed her. Good luck! Sorry she isn;t eating very well :( Lots of love!!

· Registered
Holly was 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,276 Posts
Honestly not eating or drinking could be a number of things, are you super sure she is being as active at night? Like can you watch her? Or is she just being playful outside with you?

Honestly might be worth going to a vet to see it there is anything in the mouth/throat that is making her not want to eat or drink.

· Registered
1,688 Posts
Are you sure she's not eating or drinking? Are you measuring food and water? How often do you weigh her? You mentioned a loss of 80 grams, but that seems like quite a lot to lose from one day to the next, so just trying to get the real scope of the problem.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huh. Maybe she is quilling and running to try to ease her discomfort? Like maybe trying to get the baby quills to get off her coat if they are loose? If she isn't eating, you can syringe feed her, just mix up her food to mush with water, and put it in a syringe to feed her. Good luck! Sorry she isn;t eating very well :( Lots of love!!
Honestly not eating or drinking could be a number of things, are you super sure she is being as active at night? Like can you watch her? Or is she just being playful outside with you?

Honestly might be worth going to a vet to see it there is anything in the mouth/throat that is making her not want to eat or drink.
Are you sure she's not eating or drinking? Are you measuring food and water? How often do you weigh her? You mentioned a loss of 80 grams, but that seems like quite a lot to lose from one day to the next, so just trying to get the real scope of the problem.
UPDATE: we've visited the vet, after some checks they figured out she has enteritis. I am now giving her some medicines and trying to syringe feeding her but with almost no success. She is losing some weight but not too fast. The cause of this infection is unknown. Answering to some questions now: she lost 80 grams in three weeks, I am measuring food and water and nothing is going down, I weigh her once/twice per month but in this case I am doing it everyday, she is active when I wake her up and leave her running around my room on her own but doesn't wake up by herself.
Thank you for your advices and love! I will tell you when she gets better :)

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
@Ria , @Spiky_Floof<3 , @shinydistraction, I have got news, today I bought dried mealworms from a pet-store since my hedgie hasn't eaten alive ones even once, and she seems to love them. I just fed her one because I read that they can be dangerous if fed in large quantities. What do you think about it? Should I keep giving her these until medicines have effect or am I making the situation worse? Thank you very much <3

· Registered
1,688 Posts
I'm glad you were able to get some sort of answer about what is going on. As far as the dried mealworms, I'd avoid giving her very many over too long a period of time. They can cause other issues and your baby is still recovering. You might offer live again, just to see. Or you could try other live insects. Waxworms have always been a hit. Crickets are also popular, but a bigger pain in the butt to deal with.

You may need to get creative with feeding. Maybe offer something new each day until you get a positive reaction? What are you syringe feeding?

· Registered
2,276 Posts
Get some live insects - Locusts, roaches, calciworms healthier ones, gut load and freeze them for 24-48 hours. They take a like 10-15 mins to defrost, then cut a slight slit in it to get that gutty smell put and see if she takes to them.

Waxworms, mealworms (especially dried), morioworms are all considered treat insects, waxworms and morioworms are very high in fat. While mealworms have poor nutrition, their phosphorus is too high, and dried ones can cause blockages.

Have you ever tried wet food? Find some complete ones, and give those a try, see if she eats them and then you at least have something she is eating. If she takes to it the wet meat will also help with some moisture not all that she needs but a bit.
You can then try mixing the biscuit into the wet meat she likes and see if that helps get her eating the biscuits.

She may get a little green poo, this is generally caused by upset stomachs, which can be caused from trying lots of new foods and medicines. Just keep an eye on that!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm glad you were able to get some sort of answer about what is going on. As far as the dried mealworms, I'd avoid giving her very many over too long a period of time. They can cause other issues and your baby is still recovering. You might offer live again, just to see. Or you could try other live insects. Waxworms have always been a hit. Crickets are also popular, but a bigger pain in the butt to deal with.

You may need to get creative with feeding. Maybe offer something new each day until you get a positive reaction? What are you syringe feeding?
Get some live insects - Locusts, roaches, calciworms healthier ones, gut load and freeze them for 24-48 hours. They take a like 10-15 mins to defrost, then cut a slight slit in it to get that gutty smell put and see if she takes to them.

Waxworms, mealworms (especially dried), morioworms are all considered treat insects, waxworms and morioworms are very high in fat. While mealworms have poor nutrition, their phosphorus is too high, and dried ones can cause blockages.

Have you ever tried wet food? Find some complete ones, and give those a try, see if she eats them and then you at least have something she is eating. If she takes to it the wet meat will also help with some moisture not all that she needs but a bit.
You can then try mixing the biscuit into the wet meat she likes and see if that helps get her eating the biscuits.

She may get a little green poo, this is generally caused by upset stomachs, which can be caused from trying lots of new foods and medicines. Just keep an eye on that!
Thanks so much for your advices. About the insects: I read I shouldn't take those from fishing shops cause of pesticides, same for wild ones. A pet store nearby has alive crickets, I do hate crickets but anything for her obviously, but should I freeze them too? Or is it better to give them alive? Since my hedgehog is still very active I thought it would be a good idea to make her hunt alive crickets. Instead for wet food: that is what I am trying to syringe feed, my vet suggested A/D of Hills and I haven't changed that, but she has always been refusing it in every way I put it, should I try some different ones? Maybe something different from chicken?

· Registered
2,276 Posts
Yea bait shop and wild insects are bad, you want insects from pet stores used to feed reptiles.

I buy all Holly's live then freeze them, and then I hide them around her viv to make her search for them. Not as much effort as live but she hates the live ones and so I do!

Yea maybe try some other wet foods, just make sure they are complete ones might help.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea bait shop and wild insects are bad, you want insects from pet stores used to feed reptiles.

I buy all Holly's live then freeze them, and then I hide them around her viv to make her search for them. Not as much effort as live but she hates the live ones and so I do!

Yea maybe try some other wet foods, just make sure they are complete ones might help.
Bought today live crickets, my plan is to gut-load them with some salad and then give them to Maka. If she will like to hunt them alive I will "take care" of them too.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Ria, she ate 5 alive crickets out of 5 I gave her, that is amazing. She even drank a little from a different bottle, not hers. How many crickets do you suggest per day? I didn't have time to gut-load them tonight but I left salad in their box so tomorrow they will be better.

· Registered
2,276 Posts
Holly don't like them daily but like 5-6.
If you can get some other insects to add more verity then you give like a total of 10 insects.
The more verity they get the better it is for them. They can have like 5-6 of most of types.
Thats what I have found anyway.

· Registered
1,688 Posts
Just keep in mind you won't be able to feed only insects long term. You won't be offering a complete diet that way. The ultimate goal should be getting her back to eating her regular food as a base and continuing to offer insects as a supplement.

For syringe feeding, if you're having a hard time with what you're using I would see if the vet has carnivore care. It's not for long term, but it will support recovery and help her put some weight back on. Another thing you can do is crush up her normal kibble and add water so you can syringe feed that.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey everyone! What is up? I'm gonna update you about my baby's health and stuff. As I said she is having some kind of fun eating crickets and I am gut-loading those with salad. Sadly I haven't found any other type of alive insect nor canned. She is drinking just a few drops occasionally. Today I tried a completely different wet food for cats, it is really wet by itself and has no flavour that was in the previous ones: still nothing. She is still enjoying dried mealworms a lot and my vet (which I checked and has a lot of diplomas about exotic animals) told me to gave her those worms as much as she wants to eat because we need her to gain weight. Honestly I am really scared of the consequences this type of diet could have, but I do know it will hopefully be for a short period of emergency. What do you think about it? Do you agree with my vet?
Thank you!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Goodmorning everyone, hope you are doing great. I am posting this as a discussion ending. Maka fully recovered and is now better than she has ever been. For anyone who comes after my experience and is experiencing something similar: Maka had an enteritis which didn't let her eat or drink, luckily she had a decent amount of fat that permitted her to go through this period without major risks; I had to bring her to a vet to discover this, so in any case DO SO! Our salvation were insects, even dried ones which can cause other problems, but we needed her to eat. I started with a therapy based on two medicines: Meloxoral and Baytril. I am actually still going on with the last one. After a week or so she started eating again her kibbles and drinking, now she has gained back 20 grams out of 100 she lost because of this.
Thanks to everyone that replied to this discussion, you have been really helpful <3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.