Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i've only had my little toast for about two weeks, and her skin has gotten tremendously dry. She can hardly play because she scratches so much, and she has been ripping out some quills but i don't think she's quilling. I gave her a bath and that maybe helped for a day. so i'm going to try the sunshine factor, i'm just unsure of how much to give her and how often because i heard they can get diarrhea from it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you're getting it from the vet, the vet should give you a syringe & the best measurement for your hedgie. I believe it's based on weight. Sylive gets 0.1 mL, nightly (or bi nightly). (I should point out I think it's 0.1ml, though it might be 1mL. It's the first level on the syringe I was given). Sylvie weighs 540g. She did gain some weight when we started on Sunshine Factor.

My strongest recommendation would be to ask your vet for the proper dosage based on your hedgie's weight.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Before going straight to the Sunshine Factor, you might want to try putting Flax Oil on her food. It works great and should show visible improvement within a few weeks. It's also cheap and doesn't require a vet visit. :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
ilufftoast said:
oh wait i have flax oil! how much should i put on her food and how often???
For each time, I just pop open one capsule and soak my boy's NB kibble, because that's the one that he always finishes, so that ensures he actually eats the flax as well. However, not all hedgies like the flax oil, so I suggest putting one drop on one kibble and offer it to her and see if she'll eat it, and if she does, then go ahead and soak the rest of her kibble. (my boy will bite the capsule and lick the oil off on its own, so I've never had that problem :roll: )

To start off, or if your hedgie's skin is dryer, 1 capsule every 3-4 days should be good. Right now, I give it to my boy once a week, just to maintain. And I'll give him a flax oil rinse every other week as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts