Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two months ago I adopted Sonic and he's doing really great! School is coming up soon for me and there's one thing I want to get sorted out about him. So I have a neighbor who has a hedgehog too (Frankie) and she is three or four months older than Sonic ( who is two and a half months old) , We both have about he same cage setup, and it works great! We have a wheel and then a pan under it that has layered paper towels, since they are both potty trained( which didn't take much time at all!) This all might sound weird, but i'm really wanting to know, Frankie barely poops on her wheel and doesn't continue to run in it, sonic, goes ALOT in his wheel and runs on it still, so in the morning his wheel is smothered in poop. Frankie's pan has a few "bigger" poops and sonic has lots of small ones, everywhere in his pan. My neighbor tells me that Frankie was like that when she was as young as sonic.
so i'm wondering if it has to do with them maturing that when they get older they get cleaner and they're digestion is more " organized"
( I'm not sure how to describe it) Also Sonic and Frankie eat the same food, but Frankie has meal worms mixed in with hers, and Sonic refuses to eat mealworms surprisingly!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Hedgehogs do generally eat and poop more as babies, so as he gets older, that may slow down a bit. But pooping on the wheel is usually something that comes with hedgehogs in general - it's not common for hedgehogs to purposely stop running to poop in the litter box or worry about cleanliness. So don't count on less poop on the wheel as he ages or you'll probably be disappointed! ;)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Every hedgehog is different so you're probably just noticing normal difference between two hedgehogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts