Hedgehog Central banner

suggestions for lighting

Tags
lighting
760 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  lilsurfergrlsp 
#1 ·
I have read the routine lighting is important and I was just wondering what your lighting scheduled is?

I read 7am-9pm keep lights on then you can dim them after. The thing that confuses me is she is sleeping during the day, so would the light not bother her? and then she seems to be more active and comes out more when the lights are off.

I am so confused :confused:

#2 ·
As long as the light isn't super bright and shining directly over her cage, it shouldn't really bother her. Hedgehogs need the light so that they know it's daytime. And since they're most active at night (they're nocturnal), they're going to be the most active when the lights are dim or off. Some hedgehogs don't mind a lot of light at night, while some don't do anything unless it's pitch black, so you have to experiment and see what your hedgie likes.

My lighting schedule is, at 8 am her daytime lights come on. Then they turn off at around 8-9 pm, and I turn on her dim lights (one strand of warm white christmas lights that are strung on the ceiling). Then around midnight, I turn off her dim lights and she's pretty much in complete darkness, except for the lights coming from outside through the doorway.

Hope that helped!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.