Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Dee is a four year old female. She's always been very healthy, zero problems and loves her wheel. In the past week and a half or so, she's barely run on her wheel (I have a rotation tracker) and she's gained a lot of weight and size in her belly. I have been scouring these forums and I'm terrified of some kind of tumor to thinking maybe it's just constipation or idk. There does seem to be much less poop in her cage. Otherwise, she seems normal. No signs of pain or distress and eating and drinking normally.

I started decreasing her food amount. Tonight I marked her weight down and then gave her a bath and massaged her belly. I added a few drops of olive oil to her food to hopefully loosen things up in her stomach. I am going to get her some unseasoned pumpkin tomorrow, I read that can help. I am going to order her an exercise ball and saucer to see if she likes those. If I do not see improvement in the next couple days, I will take her to the vet.

I appreciate if anyone with any experience can weigh in here. Thank you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you mean an exercise ball like for a hamster, those actually aren't safe for hedgehogs, so I would stay away from that. Unfortunately, I don't have any other input, but I hope someone else can weigh in. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I heard some hedgehog owners used exercise balls. Thanks. I just fed her some sweet potato baby food with a dropper and she immediately pooped a little bit but much less than she usually does. I'm going to do that a few more times throughout the day and if she does not improve I will have to take her to the vet. The size of her belly worries me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, I actually got my hedgehog an exercise ball before realizing they weren't safe. :) That sounds like a good plan. I've never had to use pumpkin with my hedgehog, but I've heard it really helps. But yes, if she doesn't improve, definitely take her to the vet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been googling and I found an image that looks identical Dee's swelling. It looks like a condition called Ascites, which is indicative of some pretty bad stuff. I am scheduling vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,200 Posts
Glad your going to the vet!

Just want to say that saucer wheels are no good for them, they have a bad running angle and can cause all kinds of back problems in hedgehogs due to this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vet did an ultrasound and found a mass in her stomach. She recommended we put her down, which is what we did. I am angry because I feel she had a lot of life left in her. I wish I would have asked them to drain the stomach fluid and then evaluated her for a week.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,200 Posts
Oh no, I hate vets thats first solution is to put a hog down!
For future, not to try be mean, but you can refuse it and taken them home, get second opinions. If a vet says they have to be put down and you dont agree at the time, you dont have to accept it at.

Sorry to hear you lost her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your condolences. I really do feel like it was not a good vet. I just was worried she was in pain and the vet tried to make it seem like it would be selfish to try anything else.

·
Administrator
3,708 Posts
Maybe and maybe not. I've been in that situation a couple of times and sadly when the abdomen fills with fluid the situation is usually dire. Each time the vet's recommendation was euthanasia. The last time we discussed other options. Part of me regrets not trying, the other part says it was better to say good bye without having our last moments be even worse. Necropsy showed I made the right decision, it still didn't feel right.

I'm sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose one, and it is clear from your posting that you cared deeply and only wanted what was in her best interest. It won't help the heartbreak, but a wise woman once told me, its better a minute too soon than a moment too late. Don't let them get in such bad shape that you regret waiting. I try to remind myself of that everytime I start with the what ifs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe and maybe not. I've been in that situation a couple of times and sadly when the abdomen fills with fluid the situation is usually dire. Each time the vet's recommendation was euthanasia. The last time we discussed other options. Part of me regrets not trying, the other part says it was better to say good bye without having our last moments be even worse. Necropsy showed I made the right decision, it still didn't feel right.

I'm sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose one, and it is clear from your posting that you cared deeply and only wanted what was in her best interest. It won't help the heartbreak, but a wise woman once told me, its better a minute too soon than a moment too late. Don't let them get in such bad shape that you regret waiting. I try to remind myself of that everytime I start with the what ifs.
Thank you for your words, they do help. I will miss her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts