Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a hedgehog named Hawthorne who will be two in August. Currently we live in Vancouver, but we lived in Montreal, Canada previously. I have been offered a job for four months (Sept-Dec) in James Bay, QC. It's a sub-arctic region (zone 2). I was wondering if anybody had any experience having a hedgehog this far North? I'm primarily concerned about the temperature aspect, but also there will be limited to no access to vets and I'm not even sure about his bedding etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you purchase the right equipment, you should have no trouble getting the cage temperature to stay at a consistent and appropriate temperature. It just might take equipment (extra CHE's, etc) to keep it in range.

The bigger concern I see is the lack of vets. If your hedgie needs any care, from URI to more emergent visits, you'll have to be ready to drive/travel to where it can be seen. Can you research and see if there are any vets even in the area? Maybe call them up and see if they will see a hedgehog? If there is literally no vet access, and you are unable to drive several hours (or more) when one is needed, sadly, it may be best to avoid taking your hedgehog with you.

I wish you best! Good luck with your hedgie! :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
With it being four months, personally I would look into fostering or boarding him with someone hedgie-knowledgeable for that time span. The potential for no vet care is what concerns me most, since four months is a fair amount of time in hedgie time and many of their health issues can get worse quite quickly if something comes up. The temperature thing could also be a serious challenge, especially with the time of year you'll be in the location. That said, I think we do have a couple owners from Alaska on here, so maybe they'll see this and comment with their experiences re: heating. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts