Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i have a litter of baby hedgies that are a touch over two weeks old. since they were a few days old i noticed that twoof them seem to have a white stripe straight down their backs. i assumed that it was just the tips of the quills overlapping as they were curled up. but yesterday i was sexing them and WOW! they do both have very deffinite white stripes down their backs. the colour intensity has deepened and its become way more obvious. Now i know the colour can change alot as they develop over the next few months but will the stripes stay? the mum is a brown and dad is a chocolate. the stripey babies seem to be rather dark like dad. i have heard of pinto hedgies, never seen one though. could that explain this? i am very new to hedgie genetics so rather unsure about dom/reccessive genes. but i do breed alot of reptiles so know the basics.

any advice very much appreciated

·
Registered
273 Posts
u wont be able to tell what color they will be until 9 weeks, and pinto wouldnt be on the skin, usually it is on the quills, but sum1 else might be able to give u more insight on the situation
Good Luck!!!! :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
No badger stripes are only seen on Algerian patterned hedgehogs. It is two stripes running up both sides of the snout to the quill line above the eyes. It isn't apparent in all Algerian patterned hedgies either. Sometimes there is just a hint of stripes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts