Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just have two hedgehogs, one male and one female (living in different cages) and my female had babies 11 days ago. I cleaned her cage last night because it was so bad that it made me sick to walk in the room. I didn't touch any of the babies, I moved them with a plastic spoon and always kept them with mama. They were all fine until I put everything back together, she started biting one of the babies really hard and I thought she was going to kill them all. She ended up not killing any of them but she is not nursing them very well now and she doesn't keep them in the nest with her. Sometimes they are in there and sometimes they are scattered around the cage. I am relieved that they made it through the night but still concerned. Any tips??? Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
someone who knows more should respond but you were not supposed to have cleaned the cage, or touched anything at all.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
By cleaning the cage, you stressed out mom. Since she has showed signs of biting and not nursing the babies, there is a higher chance of her killing them all. Experts with this situation will come soon. I hope the babies will survive and live long and happy lives! :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Not much you can do except hope that mom will take care of the babies. Unless you want to hand raise the babies.

PLEASE, never clean the whole cage of a mom with babies until the are at least 4 weeks old, only spot clean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have been trying to keep a subtle eye on the babies and mom since last night. She is nursing babies some from what I can tell, not sure that she is totally back to normal but she seems like she pretty much is. She has not been biting the babies at all anymore and leaves them in the nest the majority of the time. Hopefully she is pulling through. She is a very hand tame hedgehog who loves attention and loves to be held. Even through the pregnancy she loved to be out and be held and was still super friendly, she has even been pretty calm since the babies were born, hoping this means she'll pull through with safe hoglets. Thanks for the tips, and if anyone has any other recommendations, please add them! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts