Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first hedgehog last Saturday and during this time she has gone from a bit timid to really quite social. I had a bit of a realization that she needed a heater to take the chill out of the room she's in and since that she really seems to be much happier. The only thing that hasn't changed is that she has yet to finish a bowl of food in a day and she hasn't given me a solid b.m. yet. The food is the food she was raised on from the breeder before me and by his recommendation I'm giving her 1 ounce a day. There's always about ten pieces left in the bowl and she doesn't seem to be interested in treats like mealworms or fruit etc. And her stool goes from greenish to brownish and is watery. She is about 9 weeks old, so could it be simply just being a baby and the stress of moving to a new place or is it something I should look into with a vet? Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
She is still getting settled. Count the kibble you give her so you know she is eating and exactly how much.

How often is she having the watery poop? Is it pure water, or very loose or is it semi formed with some water? They can dehydrate quickly with diarrhea so if she is having it often, you might need to syringe her some water to make sure she gets enough. Often though, the feces is soft yet formed with a bit of liquid around it and only the amount they would normally poop. You should be seeing it get more firm. You can give her some canned pumpkin the one that is just pumpkin, no seasonings. It will hep firm up her poop.

It's not unusual for babies to not want any bugs or fruits or veggies and it's best not to introduce her to anything new until her poop has been normal for a while. I usually suggest nothing new for at least 2 weeks and only if the poop is normal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts