Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time hedgie owner and have just brought home my first baby 3/6/2016. She's settled in remarkably well and is warming up fast. My only concern at the moment is that she's managing to poop on my floor from her cage.

It's a C and C cage I built myself up off the ground with a secure lid. I woke up last night to poop on the floor and honestly I wasn't sure how she did it, but today I caught her with her little bum against the side of the cage as she pooped so that it was outside.

I recognize that hedgies can have preferred areas for the bathroom, but I'd like to discourage/change this habit if at all possible. Perhaps this is her way of keeping her cage neat? Should I rearrange the cage to try and make that area inaccessible? I wouldn't want her to just move to another spot only to do the same thing.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The coroplast at the front area of the cage is just short enough for her to get her butt over it. Of course I can easily zip tie a taller piece there, which I'll do anyway to prevent poop on the floor, but if at all possible I'd like to try and dissuade her still so she isn't smearing poo all over the walls. Wishful thinking maybe.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You are supposed to have a high enough wall of coroplast, like 8 inch min so she won't climb, I know you have a tip on the cage but when they climb they fall and get injured.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
So, typically most hedgehogs will do their business while running on their wheel. Has she also been doing that and going over the side of the cage? Or is she just solely doing it over the side of the cage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be sure to correct the sides tonight, thanks.

Also, she does go on her wheel when running, but in addition, when I get her up in the evening and let her wander the cage to wake up a bit, her habit seems to be to poop at the wall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts