Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

Our hedgehog has been behaving normally, but I noticed a very strange mass in his poop. It is pink-brown and has the consistency of a boba pearl. The vet can't see him and I cannot find any information online about anything like this. Here is a picture of what it looks like: . If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
3,707 Posts
Impossible to tell from a photo. Has he eaten anything differently lately? Occasionally I've seen things like waxworms or watermelon come out nearly undigested from hedgehogs. The waxworms came out as white blobs like that, the watermelon sometimes came out in streaks in stool, but I had one or two instances where it was a red blob in the stool.

I know you said the vet couldn't see him, but I have to wonder if you collected the sample in a plastic baggie and dropped it off at the vet's office if they could have examined it between clients and then decided if it was a problem or not. Something you may want to inquire about if you didn't already and should you find yourself in this position again.

How is he doing now?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kalandra! Thank you for your reply. He seems to be fine, I have an appointment made with the vet this Friday. We inquiries about that same thing and spoke with a manager there. They said no, that we have to make an appointment and that we could drop it off but they would not test it otherwise. Very frustrating. He hasn't had anything besides dried mealworms and his regular kibbles/hedgehog pellets

·
Administrator
3,707 Posts
Michael, That's too bad. Its frustrating when you really want to give them care right now and the vet's cannot help out. I don't know if you kept it or not, or if it would even be useful at this point for a vet to examine to see what it was. Hopefully your visit today goes well, you get some answers and there isn't anymore of these blobs.

The only other item I could think of, and its a worst case scenario type of thing, is that there was a small tumor that dislodged and came out. I haven't personally experienced it, but we have seen postings on here of that, but usually that is with a female and uterine cancer.

Good luck, hopefully you never see anything like this again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts