Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I haven’t posted in a while since Igor had been doing pretty good.
He developed a skin tag a few months back, and I thought nothing of it, since it didn’t seem to change or grow or bother him.
Though, tonight I noticed something alarming and I’m struck with fear.

On the supposed skin tag, a big ball formed. I don’t know if the skin tag got caught in something, or he scratched it or bit at it, but this... thing wasn’t there last night.

I’m scared, because it’s obviously gonna have to be seen by a vet, and it seems removable. It’s connected to the skin of his belly by a string of skin, which originally was the skin tag.

I’m gonna get him to the vet as soon as I can, I just really hope they will be able to stall my payments, since if it will have to be an operation, I don’t have enough money at the moment.

He has been losing weight for the past month, but nothing I couldn’t control. I gut fed his insects more, got him more nutritious food, and gave him wet cat food. It’s still more down than it was, but I’m working on changing his diet completely to a more fatty one.

I didn’t think anything of the weight loss either, since it’s becoming winter here, and his weight usually fluctuates when seasons turn. Now I’m scared it might’ve had something to do with the ball.

I’ve attached a picture. I could only roll him onto his back and look at the ball, I didn’t want to touch or tug at it for a better photo. I removed his wheel incase the enlarged ball might get caught somewhere while he’s running or something bad happens.

Please tell me your thoughts on what this could be. I’m seriously worried; everything was going so well, damnit.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,053 Posts
It could be something really bad has developed like a tumour, he is at an age for being mire likely to get them if I remember right!

or it may be simple.
Sometimes a skin tag that is irritated - several things can do this they can swell, as well as being a purple or black colour. Most times cleaning it daily helps it go back to normal then just keep it clean every few days.
I've not had it on a hedgehog or pet but a lot of my family suffer with skin tags so Ik a small bit about them

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He’s only two and a half by now... but yeah I guess for a hedgehog, any age is likely.
Thank you Ria. I’ll get him to the vet tomorrow, and try my best to keep the place clean.
Do you think I should keep his wheel out for now? Or will it be safe enough to put it back in for him.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
They become more likely to get tumours at 2 years old to be fair.
Give it a wipe with a damp cloth should do the trick to keep it clean obviously patting dry after.
Maybe you could give him supervised wheel time? Just to keep an eye to make sure he doesnt do anything to make it worse then make a decision based on that.
I think it was you that the last time you took it he didnt poop but was fine when he got it to run.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, he does struggle to poop without his wheel. I’ll give him some wheel time and see how it goes. The ‘thing’ (idk what to call it) hasn’t grown, or changed colour or form or anything so far. I’ll clean it before putting him in his cage. I just don’t hope it’s causing him discomfort or pain. I can’t really tell with Igor. Thank you again.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yea it is hard to tell with them!
They are great at hiding things like that!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t know if I should be happy with the care or not.
I went to the vet today, and he looked at Igor, observed the spot, took scissors and cut it off. Just like that. It hurt Igor. He made a tiny squeak, the sound I know he makes when I accidentally cut into his quicks.

Granted, it didn’t bleed, and he gave me a cream to put onto the spot. I cleaned his whole cage to make sure it doesn’t get infected. I just don’t know if cutting it off live was such a good idea.. he didn’t send it in for testing either. Just threw it away.

He tried to get me to leave his office as soon as possible, ushering me out and everything. I really feel like it was a shabby job all in all, and his attitude just didn’t work.

He told me it was a nipple, since he has one on the other side aswel, just not inflamed. He said that it was likely an irritation that caused it to erupt, maybe scratching... and he called Igor fat.

·
Registered
352 Posts
WHAT?!?!?!? That is terrible care! I don't know if this doctor should be a vet if that is how he treats animals and people! I am so sorry that you had to go through that! It is extremely irresponsible to cut something off when you don't know what it is and without giving the animal pain meds, or at least aspirating it first to see what it could be. I would HIGHLY suggest going to another vet to see if this vet caused any damage and see if they can do anything else to help it heal up :). Good job cleaning the cage, just make sure it stays clean and give Igor lots of treats :). I am so sorry you had to deal with this!!! If you can, I would report this vet to their manager or someone. That is just not cool. I don't understand why some people act like this. I would monitor Igor closely because if it was a nipple or something, it could have nerves in it that got damaged. Not trying to scare you, sorry. Hopefully, your little guy is okay! He is so cute, never fat!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts