Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this little boy and the breeder told me he was a hooded apricot. I didn't know there was such a thing as a hooded hedgie? His color also seems very pale to me to be an apricot. The color truly does stop at his shoulders much the same as a hooded rat. The rest of his body is white and not banded. He's very shy with an attitude so picture taking was difficult but if you need more pics I can try again later. I didn't want to stress him out too much. If anyone has any ideas on his color or pattern I'd appreciate some identification. By the way, if there is a better way to add pics please let me know. I am new to this. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
He is cute! The marking is called pinto, and can be anywhere on the body- in this case he apparently looked "hooded" like a rat to the breeder (who should have known anyways, but oh well).

I'd say he's Algerian Apricot (or Champagne) Pinto. I'm not as good with lighter colors though so you might want to wait for a second opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was leaning more towards an algerian champange pinto but would welcome more opinions. I have his brother as well and his markings are more definitely pinto-like although he is a much darker color with a brown mask. The guy I got him from knows virtually nothing about hedgehogs and is just a hobby breeder. He shouldn't be breeding at all but I couldn't pass up these beautiful babies.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What a gorgeous hedgie! He has beautiful markings. I don't think that "hooded" is technically a color marking, but that's exactly what it looks like he has. Maybe the breeder comes from more of a rat background? lol. Have fun with him! <3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! He is a little cutie and coming around to me nicely. Still very shy but trying to like me. I love his little red eyes. They are so expressive. His brother is so much more outgoing. Speaking of his brother, I bought him at the same time and he is half the size of Needles. I've had them both about a month now and when I got them they were approx. 6 weeks old. Needles weighed 63g and Beemer weighed 56g. Now at 11 weeks Needles weighs 250g and Beemer is a tiny little 158g. Is that normal? He eats, drinks, pees and poops normally and just loves his wheel but he's so much smaller. Why would Needles be so much bigger? Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Dinah said:
Thanks! He is a little cutie and coming around to me nicely. Still very shy but trying to like me. I love his little red eyes. They are so expressive. His brother is so much more outgoing. Speaking of his brother, I bought him at the same time and he is half the size of Needles. I've had them both about a month now and when I got them they were approx. 6 weeks old. Needles weighed 63g and Beemer weighed 56g. Now at 11 weeks Needles weighs 250g and Beemer is a tiny little 158g. Is that normal? He eats, drinks, pees and poops normally and just loves his wheel but he's so much smaller. Why would Needles be so much bigger? Any thoughts? Thanks.
They where 63g and 56g when you got them? Personally there is no way in this world I would let any of my babies leave my care at such a small weight.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I agree that is unbelievably small. I got my boy at 96 grams, and if he was any smaller I would have been concerned. That is *way* too young for babies to even be away from mom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as I said the breeder I got them from didn't know much about hedgehogs at all and shouldn't be breeding but he told me they were 6 weeks old. They have not had any health issues and have been eating for me without any problems. They are both litter trained and seem normal other than the fact that one is much smaller than the other. There were 5 babies in the litter and they all appeared to be around the same size when I looked at them. I weighed them on my gram scale when I got them home and those were their weights. I guess they're doing fine though because they have both grown quite a bit and the vet gave them a clean bill of health although I had them for about a week before the vet saw them and they had already gained weight by then. Maybe the breeder took them away from the mom too soon. I don't know. These are my first hedgehogs and I guess I didn't know what questions to ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts