Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Unforunately, my sweet darling little boy took a sudden and major turn for the worse. Within a day, he has become unable to move with the exception of one rear leg and his neck/head. He didn't have any issues prior to this and I'm heart broken. I don't understand how he could be healthy one day and incapacitated the next.

I have been scouring the internet and haven't found a case quite like what happened to my little Kol. What has happened to him is off from what I know of WHS and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or knowledge on the subject. He can't ball up anymore, he tries to move pushing with his one rear leg and biting the carpet to pull himself with no real progress. I have been holding him to his food and water every few hours since he can no longer into them by himself. Kol was extremely athletic and active and it kills me inside seeing his frustration trying to move even an inch.

I'm praying it's not WHS and that it's something he could recover from(stroke?). He's too strong and independent to go down from something without even being able to fight back :/

Any ideas? Thoughts? input?

Thank you all in advance, I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow. I'm just being driven crazy at the thought of potentially losing him and want to know as much about what he's going through as possible so I can take care of him the best I can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a couple short videos showing the how bad he has gotten.

He's such a strong little hedge, if it's something beatable... He's the one to beat it.
I just hope it's not a fight he can't win like WHS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: His mother said that he was walking funny during his bath two weeks ago but normalized the next day. Not sure if this is of any concern. I love this little guy too much not to post anything I know of his condition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The way his head jerks just to look to the right has me worried as well. He is getting a sore underneath his chin from dragging/pushing himself just to move.

It pains me to see how little there is on illness among hedgehogs. They're such as wonderful pets. 95% of the postings online are people asking if their hedge has WHS with little to no response.

On the chance that it's some sort of disk injury, has anyone's hedge had a major surgery?

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
I hate to have to say this but if the vet isn't able to help him then I think the most humane thing to do would be to euthanize him. It isn't fair to leave an animal that loves to run as much as hedgies do in a situation like that, especially since he is already getting sores.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel the same way. Kol has such a strong, physical, and aggressive presence to him. I could never be selfish enough to keep him alive without his dignity and independence in tact. In the end, there's nothing I want more than my baby boy to be happy and healthy. If there's a chance to recover, I'll spare no cost to get him back on that wheel.

He's EXTREMELY energetic and stubborn. Since all of this is so fresh, I imagine it must have just been a whole lot dragging to get that sore. He's not one to quit, that's for sure.

What do you make of his jerky head movements or that his front legs seem to be the major issue? I want to walk into that Vet's office loaded with all the info I can get.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It could also be some kind of inner ear infection caused by the bath. It's a little far-fetched, but you never know. Stroke seems very possible. I hope you can come to a conclusion at the vet and that it's something beatable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

The Vet thinks he has severe arthritis and that this happened so suddenly because he fought the pain and just now gave up entirely. He's on Meloxicam and we're giving him little hedgie physical therapy. He's improving little by little, I hope he can at least run on his wheel some day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

The improvements plateaued and was probably just from minor relief from the Meloxicam. I took him into another office to get a second opinion and they believe he has a ruptured disk in his spine. He has gas build up in his intestines from some sort of blockage, probably due to paralysis of part of his GI tract. I got medicine to help with GI motility and some steroids to further alleviate his issues. Going to spend the next few days making sure he's spoiled with mealies, love, and cuddling in the electric blanket. It breaks my heart that that we'll have to euthanize him instead of him dying of old age but not as much as seeing him struggle. Thank you for those that responded. I hope my little boy's case can be used as reference if some experience something similar.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that and see the posts. You've done a lot and tried everything. I know it doesn't help to hear that, but still.

I had a vaguely similar experience on Tuesday (came home to my hedgehog suddenly unable to move even though he was active the previous day) and he passed away suddenly.

Thank you for sharing, I'm sure it will help others in the future. And I'm wishing you the best for dealing with this tough situation. Take care.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The steroids and GI medicine I asked for have put him in better spirits. He seems more like himself and I am currently building him something to assist with movement. It's going to be something he can rest on and use his back legs to push himself around so he can get some exercise. I don't know if it was toxins building up from whatever was blocking his GI tract but he was out of it during the first week of all of this. His mood is significantly better and he even bit his mother, which is a good sign since I'm the only person he loves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for continuity, Kol ended up having trouble breathing and never got any better. He was euthanized to end his suffering and I couldn't be more heart broken. It really is unfair that such loving and adorable creatures have such a short life span. I would give up years of my own life just to keep Kol around and happy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm so sorry, he seemed like such a brave little guy and you obviously cared for him so much. You did all you could and that's what matters. Rest in peace Kol.

·
Registered
402 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I honestly feel like hedgehog parents are very brave when they become attached to a little hog knowing the special bond may not last long. It's a shame they are prone to so many health problems. Hedgehogs are amazing little creatures and truly are family.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts