Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've thought about it and decided that a bin would be a great cage... IF I get a hedgehog. So... I was wondering how you can set up a storage bin cage... and have a few other questions...
What size is best (___ gallons)?
You do keep the lid on, right? And with ventilation holes drilled? If you leave it off, the hedgehog would probably climb out, right?
Do you also drill ventilation holes in the sides?
Is it a good idea to connect two smaller storage bins to create a bigger bin? Or would that be a little too complicated? And what could you use to connect them?
Thanks!!
hr

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
There is a great thread in Housing called Cage Set ups that have some very nice ones. I don't use this kind but this is what I know from looking at the others
1. There will have to be ventillation holes drilled on the side, heating the plastic with a hair dryer before drilling will help it from cracking.

2. Not 100% sure with the size but you'll want a very bare minimum of 2 square feet left over after everything is placed in the cage. 2 square feet is the absolute minimum and many set ups are double that. You can attach bins with pvc pipes as well to add on to the square footage. Hedgehogs need lots of room to move around and you'll also want to get a Hedgehog safe wheel with a solid bottom and no crossbars.

3. For the top you'll want to cut out the center of the lid and replace with hardware cloth so that fresh air can get into the set up and you'll definately want the lid on so the hedgie don't escape.
4. You also want to try to prevent climbing because falls are very dangerous for them, even from small heights of a few inches.

Hope this helps :) There are also some great Plastic Bottomed, Wire Topped Cage set ups, they seem to be the most popular and are the safest of all the options :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
i have mine in a storage bin with out the top and its fine she cant climb out its pretty high. i have had her in it since the start and she has never tried but i hear that some do figure out ways up there water bottle holder, those :lol: little tricksters lol but something i did just in case is the top cut out a rectangle a bit smaller then the actua size then the top and then u have the top except its open yet closed , if she were to climb she would climb into the top but... ( basically it looks like the normal top w/ a giant hole) :) still drill those holes for some extra necessary ventilation
and its not very confusing to put two together its easiest to make a hole then put, and SECURE one of those pipe things.
Also if u did attach 2 bins and made some interesting stuff in the cage including his/her wheel then they probably wont wanna climb out as much anyway :)
hope i helped
Good Luck :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
i cant remember where i found it on here.... there was a page about making your own sterlite cage. thats when i first got my inspiration for theos cage, which is easy to clean, easy to move, and pretty sturdy overall. i cant remember what size mine is, but as already stated, 2 ft minimum free space AFTER adding the wheel, food bowls, hiding places etc etc. i did the same as lily said above, i cut out a rectangle in the lid and hot glued mesh in its place. i personally think its one of the easiest cages when it comes to making your own. connecting the cages is also pretty simple, you can get a pvc tube (home depot or pretty much anywhere) and trace the circumference of the circle on each bin where you are going to stick it through. then you cut it out and glue it in place. a lot of people like to cover the edges of the tube, as sometimes it can be rough and dangerous. hope this helped :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
cutietexan said:
i cant remember where i found it on here.... there was a page about making your own sterlite cage. thats when i first got my inspiration for theos cage, which is easy to clean, easy to move, and pretty sturdy overall. i cant remember what size mine is, but as already stated, 2 ft minimum free space AFTER adding the wheel, food bowls, hiding places etc etc. i did the same as lily said above, i cut out a rectangle in the lid and hot glued mesh in its place. i personally think its one of the easiest cages when it comes to making your own. connecting the cages is also pretty simple, you can get a pvc tube (home depot or pretty much anywhere) and trace the circumference of the circle on each bin where you are going to stick it through. then you cut it out and glue it in place. a lot of people like to cover the edges of the tube, as sometimes it can be rough and dangerous. hope this helped :)
aha!!! found it :)
http://hedgehogcentral.com/2plastic.shtml
p.s. sorry if i repeated a lot of things that were already said :oops:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts