Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My breeder and I have stayed in contact since I got milo and he just turned 2 months. Well he hasnt quilled. She said he should of started by now but maybe hes a late bloomer? Haha. But on a serious note hes been very lazy today he doesnt want to move much he just lays theres and im slightly worried because he just didnt seem normal. Its not extremely cold or hot ib my home in the 70s which is good for him. Hes eating and drinking and was atleast active last night because his wheel was covered in poop and pee. Im just wondering if this new attitude may be the onset of quilling?

·
Registered
36 Posts
most hedgehogs are lazy during the day if that's when you tend to notice him sleeping/laying around. 70's can be a little cold for hedgehogs which can decrease their activity. most people say the lowest they should go is around 72, but 75-76 is preferred. (75 is a good base number, as mine tends to go between 74-75 throughout the day) if you have a CHE set up, a thermometer and thermostat can easily control the heat, and its well worth the money to pay for it! :)

i wouldn't worry too much about his later quilling, as everyone seems to agree on a different quilling age. i've not personally experienced quilling yet (1 year old and a 5 week old!) but if you have him on a disposable bedding i wouldn't be surprised if his quills just got lost in it! that happened with a few of the younger ones baby quills. you can just gently spread the quills on his back apart to see if you see any new ones poking through, it would tell you if he's growing new quills or not :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts