Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our little girl has been having some tummy issues and is not pooping as much as she normally does. She is still pooping though and no pained noises while doing so, so we are confident it's not an obstruction- just a little constipation.

To fight this, we are going to start giving her a little bit of unseasoned canned pumpkin and give her regular foot baths (these really help her go). Some quick questions regarding this: How much pumpkin should we give? Should we keep giving pumpkin after her poops (hopefully) return to normal to boost her fiber intake? If so how much for maintenance?

We have also been consistently only giving her the food that her breeder gave as her main staple, Purina One Tender Selects Blend with Real Chicken.... but to help avoid intestinal issues in the future and to give her a more balanced diet, we are going to start doing a 3 mix cat food. Below is what I'm thinking- does it seem like it'd be a good mix?:
  • Purina One Tender Selects Blend with Real Chicken
    • Protein: 34%
    • Fat: 15%
    • Fiber: 2%
  • Solid gold winged tiger quail and pumpkin
    • Protein: 30%
    • Fat: 13%
    • Fiber: 3%
  • American journey duck recipe grain-free dry cat food
    • Protein: 40%
    • Fat: 15%
    • Fiber: 4%
We will also be introducing calci worms (phoenix worms) into her diet also. Does anyone know of a reputable place to get these, preferably canned? The only place I've been able to find them canned is from supergrubs, a place in singapore... but not sure if I trust something that would be coming across the world, it's a lot of travel time. We were also considered getting them from here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
OK so, for the pumpkin part :
I'd give her one teaspoon of pumpkin, maybe once or twice a week. I'd do this for my boy if he didn't absolutely hate pumpkin (and basically anything that's not meat or insects.)

Something else that I'm looking into getting is Probiotics. It'll help maintain healthy bacteria in the gut. It helps with constipation and diarrhea, or so I've read.

Second, unfortunately, I'm not an expert in the kibble industry. I live in a place where high quality kibble is scarce. But they important thing about the kibble would be the ingredients. Are they nutritious? Are the ingredients high quality? Are there alot of fillers or things that might be unhealthy for hogs?

Third, the calci worms.
There's a local bug breeder in my area that sells calci worms. I don't think they're that scarce honestly. Have you asked around? Are there any reptile shops close to you that might sell insects? If so, I'd suggest asking there. Calci worms are becoming a really popular feeder insect, so it'll make sense to find them easily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts