Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started My new cage. I have posted my idea here once before but ill go ahead and re tell everyone what im doing. I need a cage that looks like furniture Because of the location it will be in. Its going to be made of Oak wood. and the dementions are going to be 4'x2' (48"x24") and 20" High with a second Level measuring about half that 24" by 24". Its not going to be just Oak Wood it will have Wire walling just the frame will be Wood and the Floors Much like this one http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/comemeetmy ... gehog.html (Wooden Cage about half way down the Page.) It will be a little nicer than that one, with decorated Trim kinda like a Cage by design but this all depends on how much money i really want to spend, for right now it may look simaler to the one in the link and later on i may modify its design to improve on the look. I plan on staining it with a non toxic Dark Walnut stain also just like the dark finish on all the cage by design. This will keep Urin, And Water Out of the wood and will prevent Mites (if my little one get them) to burrow into the wood. Also to keep my little guy up and off the wood a sheet of Coroplast will go over top the Wood so he is sitting on top of plastic. This will also make it a little easyer to clean rather than cleaning wood every time. I may end up onlying using Stain on the out side of the cage and the support beams on the inside and using a Laquor on the flooring. I just wanted to see people's thoughts on my plans. I have already started this project and do plan to update with photo's and do a Ho-To on this project. You will need a Table saw if you do want to do somthing simaler but my plans can be modifyed where all you need is a Circuler Saw and a Steady Eye. With all the Supplys needed This cage will cost around 75-125 it requirs alot of cutting and alot of sanding.

Tools Needed
Table Saw
Circuler Saw
Jig saw (Minor cuts dont really Need but will help)
Orbital Sander or sanding block
Wood Glue
Nail gun or Drill
Chisal
and im probably leaving out a few

Let me know what you all think and if anyone is really interested in a How-To on making the cage

·
Registered
414 Posts
How are you planning to do the ramps between the levels? Keep in mind that they need to be enclosed, and also at a relaxed/slight angle or the hedgie may not want to climb up them.
I think it sounds like an interesting idea. You definitely need to post pics when you've finished it. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zalea said:
How are you planning to do the ramps between the levels? Keep in mind that they need to be enclosed, and also at a relaxed/slight angle or the hedgie may not want to climb up them.
I think it sounds like an interesting idea. You definitely need to post pics when you've finished it. :)
The ramp will be made of wood with tall wall's on both sides. It will be at a real slight angel.

When everything is done i will post pics of the finnal product i also plan to post pics of my step by step process.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You might try using some kind of clear material for the walls of the ramp. I'm not sure what would be best for that, but it's just a thought. That way you can see the hedgie on the ramp and don't have to wonder where the little guy/gal is when they decide to sleep in there. Because if there are tall wooden walls, it's sure to be dark in there and I know mine likes to sleep where he thinks it's hardest to reach him. :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL him hiding in there wont be a problem as far as getting him out. It will have two door's one on top and one in the front. That is a good idea tho to be able to see him i would need some sort of plexie glass if its in the budget then i will do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts