Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I did a huge cage cleaning on Sunday and I guess somehow in the frenzy, I got something wet that I shouldn't have on my bucket wheel.

I began to notice it early last night but it wasn't that frequent so I told myself to wait til morning to fix it so that Tama could run uninterrupted.

... that thought lasted until 4 in the morning when the wheel began constantly squeaking and LOUDLY. it woke me up from sleep and prevented me from going back to it.

I finally gave in at 4:50 and took the wheel apart and lubricated everything metal I could find with some vaseline.

put it back together and gave it back to Tama... it squeaked after 30 s of use... and continued squeaking thru the rest of the night.

please, any ideas? I don't know what else I should do that wouldn't be toxic like some oil or something.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Vaseline should work and is the safest and long lasting thing you can use. What works best is to gob the Vaseline on and then shoot a warm hair dryer at it while slowly spinning the wheel. This enables it to get right into the bearings. Vegetable oil will work too and will easily run into the bearings but it won't last long.

I've used Vaseline on wheels for 6.5 years now and it works great and some of my original bearings are still in use. Unfortunately, all bearings are not created equal and some just don't last at all regardless of how well taken care of. Coating the bearings with Vaseline every couple of weeks will help prevent water and rusting problems and extend the life of the bearing.

If there is no hope for the bearings, they should be able to be easily popped out and replaced. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts