Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that some people let their hedgehogs play with small plastic squeaky dog toys. Is this safe for them? I saw mini rubber duckies in the store the other day, and they would be just the right size for my new hedgy. :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It would depend on the toy and how sturdy it is. I know that lots of dog toys are made out of flimsy material that can break off into little pieces and be a choking hazard. Some plastic toys are also toxic and not the best thing for animals to be chewing on.

I'm an experienced owner so don't have any recommendations for the safe kind of dog squeaky toy. But I'm sure someone else will be along to shed some more light.

Good luck finding the perfect toys.

·
Administrator
3,702 Posts
I don't use them, but I don't use them mostly because the material plastic dog toys are made of has a strong odor. I don't like the smell and figure the hedgehogs don't need that in their cage either.

For the most part hedgehogs don't chew. Some may bite something to try to carry it away, but they don't chew. Others won't even bite at them, they just push them around. Is it ok? Well like I said, I'm against anything with a strong odor. I prefer soft stuffed animals, balls, cubes, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice. :) Not sure if these little minature rubber duckies have an odor. I'll smell em. :) They aren't the normal flimsy plastic/rubber that most dog toys are made out of. It's a pretty thick plastic...but if they have any odor, I'll forgo them. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a rubber ducky in my hedgehog's cage :p It's not a dog toy, it's just something I won at Craig's Cruisers one time. Pepper doesn't really play with it, but it does add a cute touch to the cage ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.