Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to take my hedgie out of her cage just for a quick pick up of her waste?

Because she gets threatened and huffs & quills & pops (all normal I know). I just don't want to scare her unnecessarily.
Maybe I should be taking her out so she at least knows its me?
I don't have time to socialize w/ her though, I usually do this right before work.

Also, I asked this in the wheel cleaning thread too, but I've been wiping her wheel down with cottonelle baby wipes, thinking they're gentle, free of harmful chemicals. Good iea or no?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't have time to socialize w/ her though, I usually do this right before work.
You mean you don't have time to play with her in the morning when spot cleaning the cage, not you don't ever have time to socialize her? correct?

I am just clarifying this so someone else doesn't go on a tangent about not properly socializing your hog.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
azyrios said:
You mean you don't have time to play with her in the morning when spot cleaning the cage, not you don't ever have time to socialize her? correct?
Bingo.
I spend a lot of time with her after work & in the evenings. Bonding is going really well. She calms down quickly, explores, sleeps in my lap, etc.
I'm just referring to the quick poop pick up in the morning when I'm in a rush.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*Boost*
So back to my original question:
is it ok to spot clean while she's in the cage, even though she huffs and seems threatened?

·
Registered
395 Posts
chances are she thinks your a predator. Before cleaning just show her your hand and let her sniff you. After she un-huffs and relaxes go back to spot cleaning. She should get used to you being in the cage, she just can't smell you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts