Hedgehog Central banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hear what you guys are saying. As far as heating goes, we live in San Antonio, Texas. Heating is not a problem. I have a very large walk in closet in my bedroom, this houses my clothing, computer desk and now Sugar! This has a separate heating vent in the ceiling and is always the warmest room in the house and never needs another heat source. I guess I lucked out on that part! I am interested in the issue that was written about having enough light source. I leave the flourescent lights on in that room all day long. I understand that the top of this type of "cage" is solid, but this sides and back are mesh. This is a real light room. Do you still really think it would be a problem? I just wanted to get her something large that I could afford and put a nice flying saucer wheel, etc. in it. Also, I think since of its size maybe I could try to litter train her? What are your thoughts?

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
I have two of these for traveling. As I stated, I don't feel they get enough light. You also have to watch what you buy. I bought a 3rd one (and returned it) that had only half windows on the side and the front is mesh (returned it because it wanted to collapse if you walked by it). The two I kept have mostly mesh on the sides and only the front (not the back) is mesh.

I don't feel heating is an issue if you keep the room warm. For those out there that do not keep their room temperature adequate, yes it will be an issue.

I really don't think these are ideal for a full time cage. They have been fine for temporary/travel housing so far.

If you are looking for a good cage for cheap, look into finding a nice big plastic clear sterilite or other brand container. Or get 2 tubs and connect them via tube. I personally love my 2 tub condos for my hedgehogs. The wheel, water and food are on one side, the sleeping play area on the other. I have found that they will pee, poo on the eat/wheel side and the other stays clean.

Plus if you have the room you can build 3 and 4 tub condos.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You are talking about the "storage" containers? Obviously they cannot see out the sides or crawl out, you just leave the top off? What "gallon" size do you use? You must use a water dish then, right? Right now I attach the wheel to the side of the cage so I can be sure it won't fall over, but I am going to get a new one; either larger or get the flying saucer. What do you think?

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
I don't remember what size mine are now. I honestly don't look at the size by gallons or quarts, but by the square footage in the floor. But they give just over 6 square feet of floor space each. I think I remember 116 sterilites (clear sides only). Look for something that is clear, with a large flat floor space.

I don't use lids with mine. And don't have a problem with climbing hedgehogs.

I do use a water dish. I had a hedgehog break a tooth on a water bottle in the early years. However even back then I did use a water bottle. I drilled a hole at the right spot for the spout to stick through and attached the bottle to the outside. Worked great, until we had a tooth broken by a hedgehog who used to bite at the nozzle.

I don't have any experience with a flying saucer. All my wheels have a nice pvc pipe base, so we really don't have an issue with them being knocked over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think that this foldable kennel would be ideal to my weekend visits to my mother's house and longer trips with my hedgy. What a great idea ^__^.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts