Hedgehog Central banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ah, that makes more sense. Yes, I didn't intend to actually move it after it was set up for overnight. I've got a hard-sided cat carrier for that. :)

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
Nancy said:
I would try these out well before the shows. Don't want any escapees at the show. :)
That's what my testing is for. I'm an overly protective momma who if there is any concern at all that it won't work out, then we go back to our old standard plan. If it does, well it will save packing 2 tubs into the car (or 4 when I have 2 hedgehogs). With a hedgehog that doesn't dig, I don't have any concerns yet. We tried a little time in it last night and Rose was pretty disinterested in the adventure. She looked around, found her mealies, her wheel and promptly climbed under her sleeping blanket to nap. With Rose's personality this was as I expected. I took her out after 15 minutes. We will continue our testing until I'm certain she is going to be safe. Else we pack tubs to Milwaukee.

LG, has your little one spent time over night in it yet? Wondering how he reacted.

One funny thing about mine... it has seat belt loops. I can't imagine putting a dog in this thing.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
LG, has your little one spent time over night in it yet? Wondering how he reacted.

One funny thing about mine... it has seat belt loops. I can't imagine putting a dog in this thing.
He hasn't stayed overnight (will be tonight to see how he reacts) but he'd been in it for a few hours. He just explored a bit and dove straight under the liner and fell asleep.

Mine has seat belt loops too... I honestly don't know who would put their dog in one in the car... but, you never know. I don't have any use for them. :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Kalandra said:
Nancy said:
I would try these out well before the shows. Don't want any escapees at the show. :)
That's what my testing is for. I'm an overly protective momma who if there is any concern at all that it won't work out, then we go back to our old standard plan. If it does, well it will save packing 2 tubs into the car (or 4 when I have 2 hedgehogs). With a hedgehog that doesn't dig, I don't have any concerns yet. We tried a little time in it last night and Rose was pretty disinterested in the adventure. She looked around, found her mealies, her wheel and promptly climbed under her sleeping blanket to nap. With Rose's personality this was as I expected. I took her out after 15 minutes. We will continue our testing until I'm certain she is going to be safe. Else we pack tubs to Milwaukee.

You could always keep her in the bathtub in the motel so even if there is an escape, she couldn't go far. A blanket in the bottom of the tub and taking a small space heater to use would ensure not only is she safe but warm.

I'm envious. I wish I could go to Milwaukee! I'm hoping for Sholarie (sp?) but not sure if the time frame is going to work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im wondering something.. This summer upcoming (summer of 09) My cousin is getting married.. Unfortinetly she lives in Ontario (I live in Nova Scotia) So we have to fly there.. But I DO NOT want to leave Peanut behind.. Would they stuff him in the pet department if so.. Would it be cold in there and what kind of Cat carrier or Pop up cage thing should I use.. (Would they let me keep peanut in the people area with me?)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Okay, so Inky stayed in the kennel last night, and was great! He had his flying saucer and same bowls as usual, so not much was changed. I heard him come out around the same times, ate as much as normal, and it didn't appear to bother him being in a new place. Of course, that's just his personality, every hedgie is different.

He did his routine scratching on the bottom (which he always does before going to sleep) and didn't pursue it any longer than normal. The fabric seems like it would hold up pretty well to hedgie nails, IMO.

Yesterday evening I got a video of him exploring it... not that relevant but I just wanted to upload it because HE RAN ON HIS WHEEL! That was the first time I'm ever caught caught him on tape... I was really happy. :lol: If you watch, it's at about 1:48...

·
Registered
7 Posts
r_k_chic47 said:
LizardGirl said:
I will be very interested to see what Rose thinks of it as well- I'll post what Inky thinks, too. :)

Intheend, do you mean it's not solid, as in bendable? Yes, it's got the polyester bottom. However, when placed on a solid surface, technically it would be solid. Might I ask your opinion as to why this type of floor would be a problem? Trying to see all sides here. ;)
I know you weren't asking me for my opinion, but I'd like to post it here. If you were to carry this, with all accessories and inky in it, since the floor isn't solid, everything would fall over. Now, if you were only using this after you had set it up somewhere you were staying, and not as a travel carrier to carry around, then you wouldn't have any problems. I think that's what intheend was trying to say about the bottom not being solid, but I could be wrong.
That was exactly what was I trying to say. It's solid when it's on the floor or on something, but when you go to big pick it up there's no stability. Even for my dog, this isn't how I transport her. This is just her "den" (my dog has issues and cannot sleep in an open space, lol). Anyway, my point is that I wouldn't be comfortable using it because the water/food can spill or the wheel can tip over. But hey, that's just my opinion and if it works for you, then that is awesome and I'm glad ou found something useful!

·
Registered
93 Posts
intheend you don't think to put a plate of wood or somethings hard in the bottom of this Sport Pet Dog Kennel I think it'S the best way to be able to use it realy well and it'S not somethings expensive to keep your hedgie in the good position and be safe for all things in the kennel ,,

It's an idea do what you want with it :D :D :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Coco- I don't think wood would be a great option unless it's covered so it doesn't splinter. I have 2 different types of cat carriers, and a travel cage from Martin Cages so I don't have to think about trying to modify the sport kennel. Out of all of them, my favorite to travel with my hedge is the F-400: http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/ferret/
Just don't put up the ramp/shelf and it works fantastic.

edit: One other problem with the wood- I can just imagine how horrible it would smell after a hedgie urinated on it a few times!

·
Registered
93 Posts
i speak about wood like example but it can be coroplast or somethings like that ,,,lolllll

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
Don't forget to consider height. Some wheels may not fit in the small size kennel. A good friend of mine warned me of this this weekend. She said it just depends on the wheel and how thick your liners are. But with the wheel I have, it would be a very tight fit. Better off going with the larger size. If you want a good idea of the footprint of a large, mine fits on top of a bath towel with some towel sticking out to the sides.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ah, that is true. It completely slipped my mind... Flying Saucers are much lower and that's what I was invisioning in there... so yes, consider height!

Did Rose do well in the kennel at the show?

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
Rose did great. The kennel worked just fine.

I found out one of my friends has used these kennels before. She said she paid less than $20 for hers, but it was several years ago. She gave me some tips on how to easily clean them. Basically involves putting soap in, sitting inside a shower and allow the bottom to fill with water, swish, drain and rinse several times. Sit the kennel with the floor side up on a towel and they dry really quick. She said any stuck poo comes off of them extremely easy this way.

She also said the old design had velcro so you could throw them in the washing machine...

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just thought I'd mention how Inky's first *real* vacation in the kennel went-

For each Thanksgiving, all our family stays in a lodge about 2 hours away from me. Inky did great on the drive up (in his cat carrier) but he has never had a problem driving anywhere. The first night, welllll...

It was SO LOUD. I hadn't brought his wheel along, thinking I would be doing everyone a favor... so I had just brought some toys for him...
He decided to stay up all night, scratching at the sides. Anyone who knows what the material-stuff is like, you know how much noise a little hedgie can make with it. I got up repeatedly trying to shush him, so he wouldn't wake up the kids, and he refused. :roll: Luckily they are deep sleepers, and say it didn't bother them. Him scratching didn't affect the material at all though, I was afraid he was going to dig through, but he wasn't even able to scratch it.

I was relieved when, the second night, he didn't even try to scratch at all. Of course, maybe his turkey and sweet potatoes made him thankful he had a nice big kennel, and he just ran around a bit and fell asleep. Maybe it was just a one-night thing...

Anyone who doesn't want to read the whole novel, it worked great, just is loud if you've got a digger. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Okay, so i think this is a really cool idea. Since I have only had my hedgie for not quite a month i already want to move her into something bigger. What is anyone's opinion on using this as a permanent home. I mean the only issue I think would be the water bottle. I guess you would have to use a dish? Is there anyway to secure a water bottle to the inside?

·
Registered
126 Posts
It'd be interesting to see how one of these would hold up as use as a permanent cage, that is of course if you have the proper supplies to keep it heated, but a small space heater would do a fine job of that, that's what I use for Hector and he's in a rabbit cage that has solid flooring.

·
Registered
126 Posts
sugar said:
Okay, so i think this is a really cool idea. Since I have only had my hedgie for not quite a month i already want to move her into something bigger. What is anyone's opinion on using this as a permanent home. I mean the only issue I think would be the water bottle. I guess you would have to use a dish? Is there anyway to secure a water bottle to the inside?
I'd use a water dish. I've found that certain dishes are harder to topple, my little guy isn't able to topple this dish:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2752726

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
I wouldn't consider them for a permanent home.

One concern is lighting. They have a solid top and a back mesh window in the sides & the front. I don't feel they allow enough lighting for a full time residence. For a short trip I think the lighting is fine.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts