Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share something I got for Inky the other day...

At Walmart I found a pop-up dog kennel, which I've been looking for an inexpensive one for a little while, for travel. (some I've found are $50+ for a decent size!!!) I ended up buying a Sport Pet Pop Open Dog Kennel, medium. I suppose I could have easily gotten the small. :roll: The medium, is, well, huge. But that's a good thing, for me, with one hedgie and more space. I got the red one at Walmart for $16. (I believe it was on sale...) The dimensions are 22" wide by 36" long by 22" high. It's about regular cage size!

Here's a link to the medium one: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5192525

Okay, pros, cons, then pics.

Pros:
-It's huge, which I want him to be able to stretch and run on his wheel.
-Inexpensive, less than the cost of most foldable/popup kennels
-Folds into this teeny little thing that is so easy to store
-On the sides, the mesh is high up so it's harder to climb/scratch on it

Cons:
-The red is EYEPOPPING!ly bright
-The wire-things that bend or twist or whatever to fold it up again are pretty stiff, you need some biceps to fold it back up!

Here's some pics:

Package-

Popped up w/o any stuff (except my sister there, heh)

Folded up w/Inky modeling-

Stuff in, w/door open and not-

Hope those pics are okay. I thought people going to shows/travelling might be interested, since it's compact for tossing in the car. If anyone else has an opinion on this or a similar product, I'd be interested!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
That's great for a portable cage. I got something similar a few years ago from Mary Maxim but it isn't very sturdy. That one looks much better. I hope our Walmart has them. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem! I've been trying to find a decent travel cage in addition to his cat carrier for a while now. I was surprised too when I saw how big it was! If you're taking multiple hedgies or where you're staying is smaller, I'd recommend *not* getting the medium. The small would be great, and I think I saw an extra small when I was there getting it. (didn't see one online)

Also, if you have the opportunity, get the blue one! (unless you like the POW red :shock: )

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow I never thought about using one of those as a travel cage! Its one of those things where you wonder why you didn't think about that. :) :shock: I thought I'd add that shocked face just because I think its funny. lol :lol:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Looks neat - a couple questions about it:

How does the front door close to make sure hedgie stays inside?

Looks as though you'd have to make sure the entire room was adequately heated to hedgie temperature.. kinda like for c&c cages?

In your opinion, would it work if you had a hedgie who liked to dig? Would the material stand up to hedgies who like to scratch at the bottom of their homes?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nancy, I know you don't have a Target, but I bought one of these collapsible cages (for my dog) a while ago. It was the large size, and it was only around $20. Maybe you could order it online and have it shipped?

That's a great little set up, I never even thought of using something like that for travel.

I would just be a little concerned about the mesh door.

Your sister is adorable!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Are they machine washable? I was just thinking, what if Inky decides to pee in it, or some water gets spilled? Plus, obviously it would get a little stinky after a while. Due to the wires, I'm not sure if they would be able to be washed in a washing machine, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am glad you found something to keep your little sister in while traveling! hehehe
LOL! :lol:

Looks neat - a couple questions about it:

How does the front door close to make sure hedgie stays inside?

Looks as though you'd have to make sure the entire room was adequately heated to hedgie temperature.. kinda like for c&c cages?

In your opinion, would it work if you had a hedgie who liked to dig? Would the material stand up to hedgies who like to scratch at the bottom of their homes?
There's a zipper that goes all the way around the door, and when it's open you can roll it up and it velcros up at the top.

You'd have to heat the whole room or add handwarmers for a short amount of time. That won't do for the air temp. though. The heat seems to be retained fairly well.

I think if a hedgie had pretty sharp nails (as many do on the front ahm Inky ahm) and worked at it a while, I think that yes, they would be able to tear/shred the bottom. I doubt it'd get large enough to escape but certainly dangerous for catching feet/nails. I'd be really careful if you've got a digger.

Inky is such a stud! What a great model!! You should definitely get that man a contract....
Haha! Inky says thanks and gives a toothpaste commercial smile. :D *sparkle*

Went to Walmart today and they don't have them.
Aww, bummer.

I would just be a little concerned about the mesh door.

Your sister is adorable!
I don't have a problem with the door because Inky isn't a shredder (though hedgies feel different and do different things in each situation) so yes, that might be a problem for someone with a hedgie who has the tendacy to attack mesh doors. ;)
Thanks! She's 2 and still only 23 lbs... teeny little thing! :roll:

Are they machine washable? I was just thinking, what if Inky decides to pee in it, or some water gets spilled? Plus, obviously it would get a little stinky after a while. Due to the wires, I'm not sure if they would be able to be washed in a washing machine, but I'm not sure.
I know for certain you can't machine wash it. The wires don't come out, and when it's not folded down, its huge. No way it'd ever fit... It's made for dogs, so I'd assume that just spot cleaning/scrubbing with soap and water in dirty areas would be fine, though I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have two of these that I use for my dogs and personally, I wouldn't like to use it for a hedgehog. The bottom isn't solid and the sides as well as the opening have a fine mesh.

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
I bought one of these recently to try as a travel cage at the Milwaukee show. What do you mean the bottom is not solid? The one I purchased the top, bottom and back are all made of solid polyester. The sides are mostly mesh and the front door is a mesh. The one I purchased is a size Large and has just under 6 square feet of space. Its quite roomy for a hedgehog. I, however, cannot see using one of these for a dog. They are light weight and I can see a dog easily tipping them, carrying them around, or chewing them up.

As a travel cage I think they may actually be just fine for the right hedgehog. Not all hedgehogs have the same personalities though. But I will report more as my experiment proceeds. I intend to try it out on Rose this weekend as a play pen to see how she reacts in it. I suspect based on her personality she won't care as long as she has her sleeping blanket, wheel and food.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will be very interested to see what Rose thinks of it as well- I'll post what Inky thinks, too. :)

Intheend, do you mean it's not solid, as in bendable? Yes, it's got the polyester bottom. However, when placed on a solid surface, technically it would be solid. Might I ask your opinion as to why this type of floor would be a problem? Trying to see all sides here. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I would try these out well before the shows. Don't want any escapees at the show. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh Peanut and Inky should model together

Oh and here they come Peanut and Inky modeling the new hedgehog carrier every hedgehog is hissing about them and it comes with its own Bucket so to get this faboulas deal (sorry Peanut and Inky not included) only cost $29.99 yes you heard correctly the Hedgehog carrier and the Bucket wheel only $29.99 SHIPPING INCLUDED!

·
Registered
289 Posts
LizardGirl said:
I will be very interested to see what Rose thinks of it as well- I'll post what Inky thinks, too. :)

Intheend, do you mean it's not solid, as in bendable? Yes, it's got the polyester bottom. However, when placed on a solid surface, technically it would be solid. Might I ask your opinion as to why this type of floor would be a problem? Trying to see all sides here. ;)
I know you weren't asking me for my opinion, but I'd like to post it here. If you were to carry this, with all accessories and inky in it, since the floor isn't solid, everything would fall over. Now, if you were only using this after you had set it up somewhere you were staying, and not as a travel carrier to carry around, then you wouldn't have any problems. I think that's what intheend was trying to say about the bottom not being solid, but I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts