Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it will be a month on the first since i have adopted little yr and a half ol Spike from a mean mean man, hes opened up to me, alot is thanks to the great advice given on this site, ive doubled his cage size, gave him a wheel treat him with shredded carrots (like for a salad) wont touch parsely or anyhting else, i got him with hedgehog food. i added 2 different types (the names escape me, from exoticnutrition.com) and kitten food, but he just wont eat, he like yogurt, i tried liver pate a few days ago (Its a Polish thing) just a spoon full and he ate it so quick i thought he would choke on it, the problem is, hes not touching his dry food at all, i ordered my 8 in 1 ferret food its in the mail, my cat even used to steal that from my ferrets so hopefully he'll latch on to that. and the thing is since in the container has a variety of 3-4 different foods in it why isnt he atleast digging through to the kind he likes. I've cut down on the worms trying to dry him out on that a little maybe if he gets hungry **** go for the bowl, but right now hes living on carrots and pate, not a balanced diet... what do i do? when i got him he was emaciated just a lot of skin and quills.. i threw about 250 live mealworms into a 2 ft tube with paper litter and he gourged on that for a couple days but he just doesnt seem right to me, i never see him poop, not when i let him out, not when i bathe him, not on his wheel (which he adores) i need some advice. should i just stuff him up with the pate and carrotts?? buy a special cat food??????? spikes momma needs some solid advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
maybe you could soak the dry food in yogurt in the fridge overnight? just an idea!

but they are lactose intolerant so maybe that would be too much yogurt...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how bout if i soaked a boal in soy milk? the lil yogurt i did give him was no more that a table spoon. no adverse affect. i did read up that they do prefer moist food, on this site somewhere, but i dono if it was for youngn's or all. im stumped he gets up in an hour, so i have until then to think.. i think jus for toonight ill give hiim 2-3 tablespoons of pate so he can eat up, and maybe by tmrw, more people will repond with ideas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reaallly?? were going there, hedgegogs like 2 dig i purchased 500 live mealworms off ebay I tossed like half of them in the tube mixed with some bedding 2' tube 1' diameter also off of ebay he was in there digging around gourging for like 20 min and then climbed into my dog dixies chew toy bed where his cuddle bed is climbed inside and went to sleep, while my blonde genius of the dog ate both the bedding and the worms out od the tube when i was not looking and i had to do a whole lot of vacuuming afterwards. NOW CAN WE FOCUS!! dry food, ideas please, i know i'm a new mom but that comment made me feel insulted..

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
SSmom said:
Reaallly?? were going there, hedgegogs like 2 dig i purchased 500 live mealworms off ebay I tossed like half of them in the tube mixed with some bedding 2' tube 1' diameter also off of ebay he was in there digging around gourging for like 20 min and then climbed into my dog dixies chew toy bed where his cuddle bed is climbed inside and went to sleep, while my blonde genius of the dog ate both the bedding and the worms out od the tube when i was not looking and i had to do a whole lot of vacuuming afterwards. NOW CAN WE FOCUS!! dry food, ideas please, i know i'm a new mom but that comment made me feel insulted..
My post asked a question nothing insulting about it but I don't really care if you feel insulted :!: giving a hedgehog 250 mealworms is just plain stupid :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I agree with Larry. A bit of common sense needs to be used here.

It sounds like he is having difficulty eating hard kibble. Try softening it with a bit of warm water.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
hedgies should only be given 2-3 mealies a day...at most...they may have bothered his stomach having so many...that may be why the trouble with eating now. With the not pooping i wonder if he's constipated ?

If i understand your post correctly...you've had him almost a month and have so far feed him, or tried to feed him - an abundance of mealworms, carrots, parsley, 2 kinds of hedgehog food, kitten food, yogurt, pate and now want to try ferret food? is this correct? If so that could be a big part of the problem. He should have been left on the food he was used to at first, then had 1 new food added...over 2-3 weeks, then another food over 2-3 weeks...etc. That many new foods in such a short time can mess with their digestive system.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i give up! he didnt eat but a few he was ruffling around in that tube for like 20 minutes, animal instinct im sure would tell him when hes full, plus after 35 minutes or so he climbed out and went in my doggy bed and slept. in other posts it saids hide worms in a child swimming pool for them to dig and find it doesnt say 7, or 70. i was just trying to let him have some fun, who knows how many i poured in there i shook them out of a burlap sack into the tube.. and Larry bringing people down, doesn't educate them it still makes them one level above you :lol: and as far as common sense these little bundle of quills are in reallity wild animals, domesticated since what mid 90's in the wild is their a mealie monitor Nancy? or do they eat till the have their full. when i got spike he was emaciated the guy before him never offered him meallies, so i treated him, that was a month ago, the last time he had a mealie was a wek ago. ifr you want to help please reply any other snotty remerks about my IQ take it up with someone who wants to read it!!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
African pygmy hedgehogs were never a wild animal, they are a hybrid that was developed in captivity. Other breeds of hedgehogs, that are in the wild would never find a that many mealworms at once, they have to hunt for them, one at a time. Also they were raised on a diet of insects, not had a bunch put before them all at once as adults. Any sudden change in food can cause digestive upsets.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nikki your so right, it was a half full generic container that thee original owner handed me and he ddint even know the name of the brand and since spike was skin and quills i wanted to introduce a healthier diet for him to put on some weight (not be obese i dont want any more ugly posts) so im reallt trying any time have a question i come here, so now with all this diet confusion how do i straighten it out?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nikki, thats what this whole post is about he hasnt touched a meallie in a weak. he won't touch his cat/hedgie food, he wont even dig through it to see if theres anything he likes. should i mush in some soy milk or water. should i judt givr him thr kitten food sepperstely? advice?

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
by treats, i mean the carrots, pate, and everything else. How long since he last ate? or pooped? try kitten food, a dish of dry and a dish moistened with water. Royal Canin babycat is usually a big hit with most hedgies. the moistened food can only be left in the cage for no more than 8-12 hours because it will go sour

·
Registered
244 Posts
No one here is trying to insult you, people like Larry and Nancy are extremely helpful and very experienced.
After feeding your hedgie so many worms, the fact that he is constipated, is unfortunately not surprising. You should stick to 1 to 3 foods in his diet, don't go feeding a random new food everyday! The little guys belly is probably spazz attack right now because of all that switching. :(
If his previous owner was feeding him low quality food, as long as it does not have anything that is a choking hazard and things that are REALLY bad I would keep giving him A little tiny bit with his new food just to not upset his belly ( which is obviously to late)
You should get him to the vet ASAP just incase there is something more serious then it already is.
And everyone is right about your choice to feed ur hedgie so many mealies in one night, it is stupid :| . I'm surprised he didn't throw-up!
even 15-20 mealies in one night could REALLY upset a hedgies stomach and especially one like yours who probably hasn't had a bug in his life.
If I where you I would not concentrate on what cat foods he might like but getting him to poop and pee and drink. and getting him a little healthier in general.
You should just take vets and peoples advice and use it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ILOVElily said:
No one here is trying to insult you, people like Larry and Nancy are extremely helpful and very experienced.
After feeding your hedgie so many worms, the fact that he is constipated, is unfortunately not surprising. You should stick to 1 to 3 foods in his diet, don't go feeding a random new food everyday! The little guys belly is probably spazz attack right now because of all that switching. :(
If his previous owner was feeding him low quality food, as long as it does not have anything that is a choking hazard and things that are REALLY bad I would keep giving him A little tiny bit with his new food just to not upset his belly ( which is obviously to late)
You should get him to the vet ASAP just incase there is something more serious then it already is.
And everyone is right about your choice to feed ur hedgie so many mealies in one night, it is stupid :| . I'm surprised he didn't throw-up!
even 15-20 mealies in one night could REALLY upset a hedgies stomach and especially one like yours who probably hasn't had a bug in his life.
If I where you I would not concentrate on what cat foods he might like but getting him to poop and pee and drink. and getting him a little healthier in general.
Well said ilovelily!

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
ILOVElily said:
Lily your the smartest 12 yr old i know!
Great post :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he ate the spoon full of pate lat night and the carrots, i moistened up the food and ill leave it till morning and well see if he evern touched it. thanks Nikki

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
People here are giving you good advice, please take it. :) Yes, that is far too many mealies, especially all at once. (I feed Inky up to 30 a night, which is an INSANE amount. Even then I build up to that much, giving 5 more a week, until he's getting that many)

He is probably not eating because the massive amount of mealie exoskeleton in his system is blocking him up and in general making him feel sick. Is he still pooping? Have you tried giving him a warm bath to see if you can get him to pass some of it? The way you said he gorged himself on what could have been *250* mealies is concerning. Be prepared for some major stomach upsets and odd bowel movements until he's onto a stable diet.

If he is having trouble with the hard food, break it into smaller pieces, or soften it in warm water. He needs to be eating a good staple diet, and soon. A few days without eating can bring on fatty liver disease. If he refuses to eat anything, he'll need syringe fed and you should take him to a good vet. I really hope he's alright.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts