Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on here in quite a while!! love the new look!! Anyway, some people may remember my posts from a long time ago, about my hedgie Kovi losing quills on her back - Nancy - i think- suggested it could be hormonal, and that spaying might help. As it turned out, she started urinating blood, so i took her for an ultrasound and xrays at my vet, and she had growths on her ovaries, so now she has been successfully spayed. Doing very well.

My question is, she is still losing quills - of course it has only been about 2 weeks. I am an RVT, so I do know that it will take awhile for the hormones to subside, but does anyone know approx how long it will take to see her quill loss slowing down if in fact it was that that was causing her quill loss?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
That is great news. Well, not that she had growths on her ovaries, but the fact that you found out the problem and she was successfully spayed. I'm sure she is on the road to recovery.

I think it took Emma more than a month to stop loosing quills but during this time, even though she was still loosing, she did start growing some in. She never did grow a full quill coat back but she did get a sparse covering all over. She had been just about bald.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts